Good Eats: restaurants and wait times

March 17, 2017

TKC rated each of these restaurants based on their wait time, quality of food, and the overall dining experience. The wait time is an average for weekends because that’s when the vast majority of people go. The food rating is based on the consistency of the food, the quality of it and how much I liked it. There are a number of factors that can affect the overall dining experience. The atmosphere is a big one; if a restaurant is too noisy it will bring that rating down. Another important factor is the wait time. Wait time is something incredibly important to the dining experience and can greatly impact a dining experience.

image courtesy of pexels under a creative commons license

5 Star Burgers
Wait Time: 20 minutes max
Food: 9/10
Overall Dining Experience: 8/10

The food here has had consistent quality since they opened recently. While it always seems rather loud, they make up for it with their exemplary food and great service. The servers were polite, attentive and gave frequent refills. Though a little too big, their burgers are fantastic and are always cooked to order. Plus, there is rarely any wait time on weekdays and it’s minimal on weekends. When waiting, you are allowed to sit at the bar and order drinks and watch sports on one of their many TVs. I would definitely come here again.

image courtesy of flickr under a creative commons license

Bar Louie
Wait time: 20 minutes
Food: 8/10
Overall Dining Experience: 9/10

The food and service at Bar Louie is excellent. The whole process feels incredibly efficient. First you wait to be seated, which normally takes 20 minutes max. Once you get a table, drinks are brought out quickly and the servers are ready to take your order whenever you are. The wait to get food is relatively short, also around 20 minutes. The food is wonderful and even though it tends to be loud, it has a fun vibe overall.

Billy G’s

Wait Time: 30 minutes
Food: 8/10
Overall Dining Experience: 9/10

Billy G’s has a lively atmosphere filled with friendly chatter and loud cheers from those watching TV. Their food is delicious and filling and their outdoor patio is heated and has plenty of seating, which is good because of how popular the restaurant seems. But this restaurant’s popularity is also the cause for their long wait and slow service. The wait to get a table is usually around 30 to 40 minutes on weekend nights, and 15 on weekdays. The servers also seem to be bogged down with orders which could be why it takes so long to get food once you’ve sat down. If you’re in a hurry or just don’t want to wait, then this might not be the restaurant for you, but it will be well worth the wait if you do.

image courtesy of Wikimedia under a creative commons license

Crushed Red
Wait time: 5-10 minutes
Food: 8.5/10
Overall Dining Experience: 9/10

With fast service, tasty food and plenty of seating, Crushed Red is a great place to go for a meal. They serve pizzas and salads which you can customize to however you like. The way you order is easy and fast. You tell the server what toppings you want on your pizza, walk down the line and make your salad then wait about five minute for your pizza. The pizza is a great size for a meal and is very filling. Overall, this is a great restaurant with exceptional service.

Kaldi’s Coffee
Wait time: 5-10 minutes
Food: 8/10
Overall Dining Experience: 10/10

Kaldi’s Coffee is a great place to go to enjoy a snack and study. It provides complimentary WiFi to its customers and an assortment of smoothies, pastries and coffees to fuel your study session. Any time of the day or school year, you can find kids studying and working here. It is a quiet coffee shop which is great for getting schoolwork done with peers or even meeting with teachers.

Dewey’s Pizza

Wait time: 20 minutes
Food: 9/10
Overall Dining Experience: 8/10

Dewey’s Pizza offers many different types of pizza and toppings along with their various salads. Their food is always delicious and their pizzas are handmade right in front of you. It always seems to be busy and it gets loud later in the evening. The servers are kind with frequent refills and wonderful service. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Downtown Kirkwood and is consistently good.

Club Taco
Wait time: short
Food: 8.5/10
Overall Dining Experience: 8/10

Club Taco offers an assortment of unique tacos all at decent prices of around $5. The restaurant has fast service and good vibes, consistently serving up great tacos. There is plenty of outside seating, a great bar to sit at and rather short wait times. It doesn’t take long to get your food once you order and their array of tacos is something I’ve never seen before.

Amigos Cantina
Wait time: moderate
Food: 8/10
Overall Dining Experience: 8/10

Amigos Cantina has been serving Mexican food in a brightly colored building on Jefferson Ave. since 2008. Their food is wonderful and they have excellent service. Though it can get loud during dinner times, the atmosphere is friendly and lively. The air is filled with friendly chatter and the scent of authentic mexican food. On weekends, wait times tend to get a bit lengthy but it is definitely worth the wait.

Mike Duffy’s Pub and Grill
Wait time: moderate
Food: 7.5/10
Overall Dining Experience: 9.5/10

Mike Duffy’s Pub and Grill serves adequate food, but what really puts them ahead is their atmosphere. They are great for hosting parties and events. There is even a separate room to accommodate large groups. They have arcade games to play before or after one’s meal and outdoor seating for when the weather is nice.