750 N. Taylor house faces demolition

Signs have been showing up around the streets of Kirkwood pleading city leaders to “Save 750 N. Taylor.”

Many of the signs are in a close vicinity to the house that people are asking to be saved.

In the July 23-29 issue of the Webster-Kirkwood Times a letter was written to the editor referencing a builder who planned to demolish a home on 750 N. Taylor Ave. and replace it with four to eight, cluster-condominium homes.

St. Louis County records show the house was built in 1875 on 1.58 acres of land.  The house is appraised at $731,500.

“We’ve been [trying to sell] for two years and no one’s been interested in buying it,” Marianne Burnside, owner of 750 N. Taylor, said.  “My husband died, and I couldn’t live in that big house without him.”

According to the Aug. 6-12 issue of the Webster-Kirkwood Times’ story by Fran Mannino, “The vacant property is now under contract to developer John Pitcher of Glendale.  Pitcher‘s contract is contingent upon permission to demolish the house, potentially making way for four new homes and a new street.”

According to meeting minutes June 9, Kirkwood Landmarks Commission, the prospective builder John Pitcher stated he plans on building four or five houses on the 1.58 acres, in the existing home‘s place, (contradicting the condominium allegation) in lieu of remodeling, as the cost of remodeling would exceed the value of the house.  The new structures would be designed to appeal to empty nesters.

“If they wanted to [rehab] it right, you could spend a million [dollars] on it,” Joe Roeser, 1976 KHS graduate and local contractor of 25 years, said.

“It’s a historic home.  The house and yard have been a part of the neighborhood a long time and [most of the neighbors] feel it contributes a lot to the neighborhood,” Ellen Smith, neighbor, said.

Many of the residents that live on North Taylor have similar views about the home and are trying to save it, as was indicated by the many signs in the vicinity of 750 N. Taylor.

“The city cannot override the owner‘s intention to demolish.  It can only temporarily stay the demolition while a preservation alternative is sought.” Alan Lamberg, master of public administration- staff, Landmarks Commission, said.  “The stay of demolition cannot exceed 270 days from the date of application.  Therefore, it is temporary and does not constitute a ‘taking’ of due process rights.”

At the end of the meeting of the Landmarks Commission, a 150-day stay was put on the prospective demolition of the 750 N. Taylor property, meaning no demolition can take process during that stay.