Robert Becker named Missouri State Teacher of the Year

Kirkwood School District announced Wednesday that 2010-11 Kirkwood Teacher of the Year Robert Becker has been named Missouri State Teacher of the Year by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

“When they came in this morning to tell me, my jaw hit the floor,” Becker said. “I’m just so excited and honored to have won.”

Becker has taught honors, traditional and AP Chemistry for 26 years, 20 of those at KHS. He also sponsors the Chemistry Club and the Kirkwood Youth Services Club. Becker holds a master’s degree in education from Washington University and a bachelor’s degree from Yale University in biology.

He credits his years of experience in both the classroom and as a chemistry presenter with helping him win the award. This is not the first time Becker has been honored.  As an educator, Becker has been recognized nationally with the James Conant Bryant Award for Excellence in Chemistry Teaching and the Tandy Technology Scholar Award. Locally, he has earned the American Chemistry Society’s Midwest Regional Award and the Saint Louis Sectional Award. The Chemical Manufacturing Association presented him the Regional Catalyst Award.

In addition to the many articles he has published in print and electronically, Becker has also presented workshops to chemistry teachers throughout the world. In March 2010, he was a presenter at the Kuwaiti Chemical Society’s Symposium for High School Chemistry Teachers in Kuwait City, Kuwait. In 2004 and 1994, he presented to the Irish Science Teacher Association in Dundalk, Ireland. He has led workshops throughout the United States including presentations for the National Science Teachers Association Convention and the Flinn Scientific Summer Workshop Team.

“What winning means to me, among other things, is meeting the president,” Becker said.

Becker is now in the running for National Teacher of the Year, sponsored by the Council of Chief State School Officers and Scholastic, Inc. The winner will be announced in early 2011.

Becker, as well as the five other Missouri finalists, submitted applications to the state after winning their district title. They then attended interviews in Jefferson City Aug. 30. The finalists and Becker will be formally honored at a banquet Nov. 15.

Robert Becker, chemistry teacher, gives a demonstration at a chemistry teachers' conference in Kuwait. Becker, who was named Missouri State Teacher of the Year, presents for other teachers regularly.
View Comments (1)
$1030
$500