How to: pick the perfect lunch spot

Vivian Kutheis, web staffer

As students get out of fourth or fifth hour they start to think about the food in their lunches and this is a rookie mistake, they forget the most important part of lunch: getting the best spot. Picking a lunch spot is a pivotal moment in a student’s high school career. Typically students sit near the same area everyday, meaning that the first lunch spot chosen sets the scene for the rest of the year.

Cafeteria:

While this may seem like the obvious choice for everyday eating, the cafeteria comes with some disadvantages. The smell of potatoes and eggs floats throughout the hallway regardless of what has been prepared. Besides the smell, there are also principals lurking. Often, Mr. Wade, Mrs. Miller and Dr. Gavin wander from table to table and distract students from the sole purpose of the cafeteria: eating. One advantage is the spacious seating area. Large windows encompassing the cafeteria create a bigger feeling because they let in so much natural light and tables lining every wall allow spots for all.  But more space means more students, and more students means more noise. That said, the cafeteria is a reasonable place to sit for those who have no sense of smell and love being bombarded with cheerful banter from teachers and administrators.

Photo By: Zachary Clingenpeel

Commons:

The commons offers a big variety of seating choices with an array of red metal tables, benches around columns and spots on the floor. While the commons is still loud it is still less chaotic than the cafeteria; it is less enclosed and allows moving around. One place in the commons where food should not be consumed is on the floor. The floor in the commons is filthy and quite uncomfortable. When sitting on the floor students seem as though they chose the first spot they saw rather than one featuring the most benefits.  The ideal spot in the commons is the benches around the columns they offer some privacy and backing for better posture and less noise.

Photo By: Zachary Clingenpeel

Outside:

During fall and spring, outside becomes a favorite spot for most students. Most sit in the courtyard adjacent to the cafeteria because it offers the most outdoor seating; however, it does not offer much shade and is more crowded than the other outdoor areas. Another issue for larger groups is the lack of space. Although the tables are made for eight, students attempt to challenge the bench limitations by trying to squeeze in a possible but uncomfortable 12 people. Another good outdoor spot is outside south journalism (SJ). Even though there is only four tables, they offer the most shade and privacy for outdoor eating.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 9.40.52 AM

Photo By: Zachary Clingenpeel

Off-Campus:

For seniors and risk-taking underclassmen, the ideal lunch spot is off-campus. Students find find the best place leaving school because they can go anywhere they want. Students can go home and return with a bag filled with items that they are in the mood for. Eating at home offers the most privacy and tranquility before returning back school. Another advantage of off-campus lunch is the ability to go to fast food restaurants like Chick-Fil-A, Lion’s Choice and Qdoba. While this option may seem the most ideal, it is unrealistic for most students due to its priciness.

Photo By: Zachary Clingenpeel

Getting a good lunch spot improves with age; First freshman start on the ground in the commons and gradually work their way up to leaving campus to find the perfect spot. It takes hard work and dedication to find the perfect spot but in the end it is all worth it.

Vivian Kutheis, web staffer

Grade: 12
Interests: Tennis, baking, being Beyoncé
Favorite quote: A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
If you could be another...