Top 10 classic high school movies ranked

Grace Fearheiley, web staff

Chances are you’ve seen a classic high school movie that you loved, or made you wonder if high school was really like the movie. TKC has rated ten classic high school movies based on their overall plots. These classics are perfect picks for movie night with your friends, and you can be the judge of which one you think is the best.

Sixteen Candles (5 Stars)

Starring Molly Ringwald as Samantha Baker, this classic film features a teenager whose sixteenth birthday is overshadowed by her sister’s wedding. She pines after an older guy at her school and rejects a nerdy guy who appeared to be the only one in her grade who liked her. Throughout the movie, Samantha navigates through high school and a disappointing birthday after her family forgets about her birthday. This movie has an excellent plot and is a good choice any day, especially around your birthday.

Clueless (5 Stars)

Alicia Silverstone stars as Cher Horowitz, a popular high school student and wealthy resident of Beverly Hills, CA. Cher sees herself and her best friend, Dionne, as fashionable matchmakers. After focusing on matching other people, she realizes she has fallen for an unlikely person. This is a captivating love story, with a twist on who she ends up with, which suprised Cher and will most likely suprise you as well.

Can’t Buy Me Love (4.5 Stars)

After cheerleader Cindy Mancini destroys her mom’s designer clothes, a nerdy student, Ronald Miller, rescues her by giving her the money for the one thousand dollar outfit. On one condition: she has to pretend they are dating for an entire month. As time goes on, Ronald becomes increasingly popular, leaving his best friend behind. This movie is intriguing because of the emotional plot and love story.

10 Things I Hate About You (4 Stars)

Julia Stiles plays Kat Stratford, a high school student categorized as aggressive and rude by her classmates. This nature in school did not attract many guys. For her younger sister, Bianca, this was unfortunate because she wasn’t able to date anyone until Kat got a boyfriend. After Kat met a new student named Patrick Verona, she had to make a decision if she would let her guard down or not. This is a semi-unrealistic, but intriguing portrayal of a high school experience, that is based off of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew.

The Breakfast Club (4 Stars)

After five students who would usually ignore each other in the hallways wind up in detention, the group quickly forms a bond. They attempted and failed to escape detention. After spending eight hours together, they opened up about why they were in detention and their personal challenges. We highly suggest watching this touching movie about unlikely friendships being formed.

Bring It On (3.5 Stars)

A cheerleading squad for a San Diego high school had a perfect routine that guaranteed them an award for a national tournament. However, after realizing the choreography a former captain came up with was stolen from another team, the team was forced to figure out a new award-winning routine. This classic tackles topics such as leading a sports team and friendships. It is a really good movie that demonstrates a tremendous high school experience.

Grease (3.5 Stars)

Grease is a classic movie taking place in the 1950’s. If you like poodle skirts and leather jackets, this is a good choice for you. This movie brings you along Sandy Olsson’s adventure as she finds her group of friends as a new student. She met Danny Zuko, someone outside of her clique of friends, on her journey. She has to decide if having a relationship with him would be worth crossing a social boundary.

High School Musical (3.5 Stars)

If you like musicals and romance movies, this is a good movie for you. At a New Years party, new girl Gabriella Montez, played by Vanessa Hudgens, meets athlete Troy Bolton, played by Zac Efron. After this introduction, the two meet again in class and try out for their high school musical. The movie follows their romance as well as friendships while navigating their way through high school.

Mean Girls (3 Stars)

If you like drama and romance movies, you will enjoy this movie. In this movie, Cady Heron, played by Lindsay Lohan, a student who moved from Africa to Illinois, became friends with a group known as ‘the plastics’ while teaming up with two of the school’s outsiders. But after messing with ‘the plastics’, without their knowledge, she actually became friends with the group. She has to decide if the price of being popular is something she is willing to pay.

She’s the Man (2.5 Stars)

This movie is humorous and a love story. Viola Johnson, played by Amanda Bynes, was determined to play in a tournament against guys her age. She disguised herself as her twin brother at his new boarding school and attempted to fit in. This became even more challenging when Viola falls in love with her roommate Duke. But Duke fell in love with another girl, who was in love with another guy. Watch the movie to find out what happens with the love rectangle.

Grace Fearheiley, web staff

Interests : I love to travel, hang out with my friends, play ultimate frisbee, and I am in a choir and love to sing.
Favorite quote: "And what...

Grace Mennerick, artist

Interests: Art, trumpet, horses
Favorite food: Fried rice and cheesecake
Favorite quote: “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden...