5 underrated STL restaurants

TKC traveled around St. Louis and discovered a variety of food from New Jersey to the Philippines, including Play-Doh ice cream and Tea Eggs.

Art by Thora Pearson

The Clover and The Bee: 100 W Lockwood Ave, Webster Groves, Missouri  

The Clover and The Bee is a hidden gem in the middle of Old Webster that you may not notice driving past. From the moment you open the door, you are transported into a field of flowers with intricately painted blossoms growing up the wall and indie music. The meditative, yet relaxing ambiance of the restaurant makes it a great place to grab a book from their bookshelf, most likely about bees, or take some artsy pictures of your food. They mostly serve unique Italian-inspired meals. We tried their roasted asparagus ($10), which supplied a burst of crisp tomato and basil flavors, as well as their quiche ($12), which contained a savory mix of potato, bacon and chives. The food is also not too expensive – prices range mostly between $6 and $16 depending on the meal.     

M.M.

Art by Thora Pearson

Hello Juice and Smoothie: 1000 S Newstead Ave, St. Louis, Missouri

Walking into Hello Juice and Smoothie, your eyes are drawn to the inviting natural lighting and artistic design. Next, you’ll notice the inviting aesthetic of the room filled with greenery and cozy furniture. A menu welcomes you with a generous amount of delicious options. From savory avocado toast to a fruity ocean smoothie bowl, you are guaranteed to find something that suits your cravings. This restaurant takes a unique twist on smoothies by offering smoothie bowls, an uncommon menu item in midwestern restaurants. They price their menu options relatively low, an ocean smoothie bowl is $9.50. After eating one of their colorful smoothie bowls, you will most likely not be hungry for a while. This restaurant is different than other smoothie places in St. Louis due to the gorgeous setting and uncommon food options.

G.F.

Art by Thora Pearson

Corner 17: 6623 Delmar Blvd, St. Louis, Missouri

Before trying Corner 17, I had lower expectations than the other places we went to. I don’t usually like Chinese food, and I’m a picky eater. I wasn’t too impressed with the layout of the restaurant or tables, which can feel a little crowded. However, an item on their menu called Tea Eggs, also known as marble eggs due to the distinctive pattern in the eggshell, were very delicious. The Three Cup Chicken dish, which was $12.99, was an incredibly tasty entree with chicken in a ginger garlic sauce with toasted sesame and roasted cloves of garlic. Toward the end the meal, I tried a shaved ice cream dish which had the texture of snowflakes. Walking into Corner 17, I was very skeptical as to how much I would enjoy it, but it ended up being by far my favorite place we visited.

G.F.

Art by Thora Pearson

Boardwalk Waffles and Ice Cream: 7326 Manchester Rd, Maplewood, Missouri

Who would want waffles cones when you could have waffle ice cream sandwiches? Check out Boardwalk Waffles and Ice Cream for a Jersey Shore dessert experience like no other. They make the Belgian waffles right in front of you, so you know they are fresh off the griddle. The ice cream pairs nicely with the warm crisp of the waffle as it melts into the squares. Boardwalk has many creative ice cream flavors that come from Serendipity Ice Cream ranging from Apple Pie to Play-Doh. I highly recommend trying the Play-Doh Ice Cream if you have a sweet tooth and love colorful cookie dough bites. Not only are their desserts amazing and range between $4 and $10, but their decor resembles a boardwalk with a painted wood counter and photos of boardwalks and beaches on the wall. They also display local artists’ paintings on the wall which are available for purchase. Stop at Boardwalk Waffles and Ice Cream to imagine you are the beach, experiencing the sensation of getting a brain freeze while simultaneously feeling toasty.

M.M.

Art by Thora Pearson

Guerrilla Street Food: 6120 Delmar Blvd, St. Louis, MO or 3559 Arsenal St, St. Louis, Missouri

Guerrilla Street Food is a small establishment unique among St. Louis restaurants, as it is one of the only places in the area serving food from the Philippines. Inside, photos of the Filipino markets and local artwork decorate the walls. The fare is inventive and unique, featuring vibrant flavors based on Filipino tradition in dishes such as the “flying pig,” a coconut braised pork dish served over rice with an egg and topped with sesame. All of the dishes are made using homegrown ingredients from area farms and producers, and eating at Guerrilla Street Food supports the local community. Many of the dishes have a spicy kick (but can be modified upon request) and can be ordered as burritos or rice bowls, most of which are between $8 and $10. Additionally, the restaurant offers several smaller appetizers such as the “Sisig taco,” which features crispy pork inside a crunchy fried wonton shell and is very affordable at only $2.50. If you’re looking to try something different for lunch or dinner, Guerrilla Street Food is a great option.

E.N.

Grace Fearheiley, web staff

Interests : I love to travel, hang out with my friends, play ultimate frisbee, and I am in a choir and love to sing.
Favorite quote: "And what...

Maddie Meyers, web managing editor

Interests: Travel, music, frisbee, photography and binge watching Netflix

Favorite quote: “Oh yeah...” -Emma Lingo

Favorite food: Triple...

Elliott Notrica, features writer

Interests: Cooking, running
Favorite quote: “I coulda dropped my croissant”
Favorite food: pasta
If you had to be another call staffer, who...

Thora Pearson, art staffer

Interests: Running, drawing, watching snl reruns
Favorite food: Mini m&ms
Favorite quote: “Everyone’s replaceable” - Meredith Lang
If you...