7 ways to be hygge this winter

Grace Klebe, news editor

Maggie Burton
Hygge

Noun.

Hue-Guh

Danish. A quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.

Fuzzy socks. Blankets. Hot chocolate. Fireplace. These are all things that are associated with comfort and coziness. They are hygge. Hygge is the umbrella under which everything cozy lives in Danish culture. In English, the closest phrase we have to hygge is “everything comfy and cozy and warm.” Saying the two syllable Danish word hygge is a lot easier. Hygge is technically a noun, but it is also an adjective and verb. “Let’s hygge.” “That is so hygge.” “I love hygge.” Basically, it is versatile and amazing. During the winter, not much is better than practicing hygge. Here are seven ways to get hygge this holiday season.

1. All the warm drinks.

Coffee? Yes. Tea? For sure. Hot chocolate? Definitely. Hot drinks warm you up and instantly put you in a state of comfort. A study done by the University of Colorado-Boulder showed that just by holding a hot drink, others are more likely to view you as friendly and kind, and you are more likely to feel relaxed.  

1. Spend time with the people you love.

Nothing is more relaxing than being around people you genuinely like, preferably people with no beef who are fun to spend time with. Play games, tell stories, talk and enjoy each other’s presence. No pressure, just laughter and memories.

1. Blankets.

One blanket is never enough. Pile them on. Thick. Fuzzy. Warm. Get on the couch and turn yourself into a human blanket burrito.

1. Bake something yummy.

Making cookies or brownies is great because they are relatively simple and require few steps, but if more complex baked goods are your forte, be my guest. There is something so wintery and fun about whipping up a batch of snickerdoodles while the snow falls outside.

1. Candles.

Aromatherapy is the best. Find that perfect candle with a holiday scent, like vanilla or pine. It will help relax you and put you in a good mood. Candles are proven to invoke calmness and reduce stress so there is no reason to not set the mood with your favorite scent. Stores like Target and Bath and Body Works sell amazing candles that won’t break the bank.

1. Comfy clothes.

Slipping on your favorite pair of sweatpants and a hoodie is one of the quickest way to remove all the stress of your day and enter a state of calmness. Cozying up on the couch is 100 times better when you are in your favorite, most comfortable clothes, and a pair of fuzzy socks are the perfect way to complete this comfy look.

1. Movies.

Once you are in your sweatpants with a hot drink, candles lit, wrapped in blankets with a steaming mug in hand, it is time for some entertainment. Put on a movie that invokes nostalgia for the best hygge experience.

Grace Klebe, news editor

Interests: Tennis, Lacrosse, reading, writing, calligraphy (I’m learning), listening to musicals, obsessing over musicals, Netflix, eating
Favorite...

Maggie Burton, artist

Interests: Drawing, playing alto saxophone, sleeping, listening to music, contemplating my purpose in this universe, eating

Favorite quote: “Can...

1 Comment

One Response to “7 ways to be hygge this winter”

1. Rhune Verbrugge on December 17th, 2018 12:35 pm

This is exactly what hygge is about during winter and lived in Danmark for 9 years ( until I was 11).

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

Top five entertainment stories of 2018

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

KHS holiday traditions and New Years resolutions

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

6 ways to work your winter wardrobe

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

Underrated STL restaurants: part two

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

Teachers make TikToks

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

Advanced Drama show preview: “Salad and A Tree”

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

What gift should you get your best friend for the holiday season?

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

Where should you study for finals?

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

From the gym to the stage

• 7 ways to be hygge this winter

Entertainment

Top 10 Rap Albums of 2018

7 ways to be hygge this winter