All’s fair in love and Facebook

Every Facebook user, whether casual or addicted, should see The Social Network.

Not just because it’s such a fantastic movie, either. Jesse Eisenberg (Adventureland, Zombieland) plays Mark Zuckerberg, who is brilliantly geeky yet quick-witted and cynical (he tells a lawyer who asks him if he deserves his full attention, “I had to swear an oath before this deposition, and I don’t want to perjure myself, so I have a legal obligation to say no”). This is contrary to the personality of the non-fiction Mark Zuckerberg, who is reportedly very down to earth, humble and recently donated $100 million to Newark public schools. However, the smart-aleck portrayal of Zuckerberg in the movie makes it captivating to watch him do the most boring, Harvard-math-nerd activities like writing codes for websites.

There is, however, reason to see this movie apart from Eisenberg’s spectacular performance and the intriguing plot, in which Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake, Shrek the Third)  founder of Napster, forms a business deal with Zuckerberg that stirs up the small company.

Facebook users need to see the movie because it is decade-defining. It demonstrates the immense difficulties that came from creating a social networking website that currently has more than 500 million users worldwide. Although the movie is not completely factual and has elements of Hollywood thrown in, the fact Zuckerberg was sued by two separate plaintiffs in the process of creating Facebook is accurate. One of the plaintiffs claims he stole the idea of Facebook, and the other is his business partner and best friend, Eduardo Saverin.

If you haven’t seen The Social Network, pay the ten bucks for a ticket. Why wait to rent it when the entire premise of the movie is about how quickly society jumps to the latest trend? Facebook users need to see how truly difficult it was to develop the site they use daily. The Social Network is a masterpiece that demonstrates how quickly society flocked to the newest form of social media.