Looking through the lens

Randy Kriewall:

With his cheerful greeting and excited grin, Randy Kriewall enjoys talking about photography. Kriewall became seriously interested in being a photographer during his first year teaching at KHS. 

It amazes many that Kriewall has endured four eye surgeries. He first had Lasik in both eyes, then his right eye had a detached retina and he had to have surgery to fix it and another to replace the lens. He does not remember what his fourth surgery was for, but he cannot see out of half his right eye.

“Sometimes I run into people. I also got to wear an eyepatch for a while,”  Kriewall said. 

Although he enjoys the action of sport shots, he also appreciates taking senior pictures, where he gets to spend time with students one-on-one.

Kriewall had a rowdy class his first year teaching at KHS. He went to a football game and brought one of his old cameras and took pictures of his students.

“Their behavior changed in a positive way,” Kriewall said. “I think they felt like somebody recognized them, and it helped to create a bond between us.” 

Trevor Currie:

In 2007, Trevor Currie fell in love with photography. While he was in Michigan, he received an old film camera from his dad which he started to play with. Currie, freshman, won multiple photography contests including second place in the National Geographic Kids photo contest in 2010 and the grand prize winner of the Rocket21 Dream Big-Dream Here-Dream In Your Backyard Photo Contest.

“From the Rocket21 contest, I won a trip to a red carpet documentary, Untamed Americas,” Currie said. “I met National Geographic filmmakers and producers. I also met Casey Anderson, a filmmaker, and she also has her own show on National Geographic. I was pretty excited.”

At times during difficult photo shoots, Currie has found a way to stay motivated by repeating positive messages to himself.

“Just keep trying. You will eventually succeed like anything in life,” Currie said. 

Reza Behnam:

As a high schooler, Reza Behnam, English teacher, was in charge of his informal photography club’s darkroom, an important job. His passion for photography started with his father’s interest in the hobby.

“I still have his old camera, an Adulta STR101,” Behnam said. “He was always taking pictures, so I think that is where it all sparked up.” 

Behnam is enthusiastic about photographing weddings, some of which he partners with Randy Kriewall, math teacher. He finds them entertaining because of how important the day is to the couple. 

“The pressures of being able to document it and being part of that group of people for that day is what I find the most interesting,” Behnam said. 

Behnam’s most memorable photo shoot was during a boys’ swim and dive meet when he took a picture of Chris Kelly, KHS graduate, diving that now hangs in the gym. That day Behnam took 300 photos of the meet for a promotion.

“The one that got picked was actually the first one I took,” Behnam said.

Steve Jonak:

At first interested with camera mechanics, Steve Jonak bought his first Polaroid Instamatic
from a friend in college. He did not realize this interest would turn into a passion.

“I wanted to learn how to use this fascinating mechanical device,” Jonak said. “I’m technical, not very artistic or inspirational. I bought [the camera] and started using it and enjoying it.”

Jonak photographs what he finds significance in, like unique objects.

“Objects that look interesting to me or have interesting patterns I like [to photograph],” Jonak said.

Jonak said he has taken many photos of shacks that are part of a shopping center in Punta Cana. He had an unforgettable experience while photographing in one of the shacks.

“When you have your back to the ocean and take a picture the ocean actually comes in,” Jonak said. “[It] almost knocked me down a couple times.”

KHS at dusk

Kirkwood JV Boys’ Basketball versus Lafayette JV Boys’ Basketball

Turkey day football game