Huber sidelined once again

Nala Turner

*Continued from “Series of ankle injuries sideline softball players

As she walks in through the door, anticipation builds in the pit of her stomach. Sarah Huber, junior, is no stranger in the orthopedic’s office because she has become a regular there. Every trip contains a series of x-rays, tests and questions.

Over the past year, Huber has made countless trips to the doctors office with one goal: fixing her broken ankle. Huber went back to the orthopedics office for her third surgery Nov. 5. The purpose of this operation was to hopefully reduce the pain in her ankle caused from the break.

“I wasn’t shocked that I needed surgery again because my foot was hurting,” Huber said. “I knew it had to happen, but I was mad about the fact that it had to happen again.”

This surgery put Huber in a wheelchair for six additional weeks adding to the previous six she spent from her first and second surgeries. According to Huber, getting around school provides the greatest challenge for her.

“It’s really hard to wheel myself around, and it’s hard on my friends trying to take care of me when we are never in the same place,” Huber said.

Luckily Huber has the help of her sister, Lauren Huber, senior, to make the hard time a little easier.

“It’s really hard on Lauren, but she helps me a lot and I couldn’t get through it without her,” Huber said.

According to Huber, surgery is never easy, but Huber has become accustomed to the challenges it faces.

“I’m starting to get used to it. I’ve gotten better on my crutches, and I’m getting better at coping with my situation,” Huber said.

Huber expects this to be the last time she will be confined to a wheelchair, but there’s always the possibility that she will face another surgery.

“There’s always a one in a million chance something will go wrong and make me get another surgery, but I think this should solve most of my pain,” Huber said.

For more on ankle injuries click here