Clash of the classes

September 25, 2013

Clash+of+the+classes+

2017
Principal: Mike Gavin

Total Students: 476

KC: Why is 2017 the best class?

Gavin: “They’re the best class because they’re mine. It’s harder right now for me to understand how I’m going to know they’re the best class because I’m still getting to know them. I’ve been impressed with their friendliness and their willingness to dive right into the culture and the community and welcome new students. I’ve noticed a lot of inviting people at lunch. It’s just been a really smooth start in terms of kids being timely to class and respectful and kind of doing things that’ve been asked of them.”

KC: What are some of their achievements?

Gavin: “It’s the class with the most students in an advanced mathematics course in the history of Kirkwood. We have a lot of kiddos in junior level mathematics classes, and I think we have the largest number of students in Honors English that we’ve ever had.”

2016
Principal: Jeff Townsend

Total Students: 458

KC: Why is 2016 the best class?

Townsend: “Obviously I think it’s the best class because it’s a great bunch of students. Sophomore year is going to be an exciting year; kids get a chance to drive, and I think you become more involved sophomore year because you’ve figured out what happens freshman year. Honestly, it’s the best class because I have a lot of good students, and they’re all-around good, good in a lot of ways.”

KC: What is your favorite thing about 2016?

Townsend: “It’s a varied class. I have a lot of people who like to do a lot of different things and the more I get to know them the more I’m finding that out. I don’t have students that are all just athletes or musicians or singers. They are involved in a whole bunch of different things, and they have varied personalities. It’s fun to get to know different students who like different things and have different interests. They all seem to get along pretty well too. “

Highest GPA according to Joe Fisch, sophomore class counselor: 4.110.

2015
Principal: Romona Miller

Total Students: 441

KC: Why is 2015 the best class?

Miller: “When they came in they were a very bright class. We had a lot of achievers, but the other thing that I like about them, and I’ve heard from a lot of the teachers and staff, this is a class that is close. I’ve watched them extend themselves to different members of the class and other kids in the school. Two thousand fifteen is a genuine group of good kids who like being here and like each other. You don’t see a lot of adversity between our class and other classes, like I’ve seen with other groups. That [adversity] just doesn’t seem to exist, and I think the underclassmen see that as well.”

KC: What is your favorite thing about 2015?

Miller: “I love the spirit of this class. I knew how spirited 2015 was our freshman year at the first pep assembly. The freshmen booed the seniors and I thought that was hilarious. They were just so strong, and they weren’t going to be outdone.”

Approximately 70% of students are on the honor roll, Miller said.

Average GPA according to Pam Hufford, registrar: 3.146.

Highest GPA according to Pam Hufford, registrar: 4.211.

2014
Principal: Mike Wade

Total Students: 449

KC: Why is 2014 the best class?

Wade: “We have amazing kids. I think we’re the most diverse group of learners, and the spirit of the class is so amazing. From the very get-go the class was really together, and they were all close. I’ve never been around a class of kids that want to work, like Turkey Day hall. I’ve never seen anything like it. That was a massive amount of work, but they had to all come together as a group and do those things. They’re loyal to each other; if somebody talks bad about somebody they are very protective and they have great pride in their school. Being from Kirkwood really means a lot to them. We’re very diverse. Not just in race; the singers that we have, our cheerleaders and dancers are amazing, our athletes are over the top. Also, just the spirit of the kids who are not the best athletes and they’re not the best dancers. They just love school. That’s really important too.”

KC: What is your favorite thing about 2014?

Wade: “Just being around them. The hard part about being a senior principal is they’re not at lunch anymore so I don’t see them at lunch. They come late because of late arrival and leave early because of early dismissal, so my favorite part of the day is usually right after first hour when they’re all in the hallway. I love to see them in things like plays or musicals or games, but it always comes down to getting ready for Turkey Day and hall preparations and the spirit. So I think my favorite time is Turkey Day week.”

89% of students got a score of Advanced or Proficient on the Biology EOC (End of Course Exam) Wade said.

Average GPA according to Amber Lutz, senior class counselor: 3.37.

Highest GPA according to Amber Lutz, senior class counselor: 4.207.