The spirit of giving

The spirit of giving

photo by Maddie Hawes

photo by Maddie Hawes

photo by Maddie Hawes

photo by Maddie Hawes

Maddie Hawes, features writer

Imagine waking up Christmas morning to no presents under the tree or every night of Hanukkah not wishing for toys but a bed or some silverware. Some families in the St. Louis area are accustomed to holidays like this. Each year, The St. Louis Post Dispatch releases a list of cases describing local families in need of help around the holidays called “100 Neediest Cases”. This year, programs at KHS, like Kirkwood Youth Service (KYS) and KHS Journalism, have heard the call for help and are ready to give back.

According to Bob Becker, KYS sponsor and science teacher, KYS has assisted families on the list for seven years. The club picks three needy families to “adopt” and shops for the items listed on their case descriptions. Becker said usually the club ends up buying more basic necessities than toys. After buying the items, members of the club wrap them and the presents are transferred to the families.

This year, KHS Journalism is also stepping in to help select KHS families. Each KHS publication will raise money to buy items for select Kirkwood families in need. The project is inspired by the 100 Neediest Cases list and called the Four Neediest Project. This will be KHS Journalism’s first year trying this service project. Students will be able to donate to the cause during the first week of January.

There are many opportunities to give or volunteer this holiday. Check out TKC’s Charity Issue scheduled for release on Dec. 15, search the web or join a service club such as KYS to get ideas and get involved. Instead of buying another sweater to add to the pile in your room, consider donating it to someone who needs one. Help bring the holiday spirit to families in need. Every hand helps and enough helping hands could result in happier holidays for every family in St. Louis.

Maddie Hawes, associate editor

Interests: Writing and reporting for the Kirkwood Call, getting my daily jog between SJ and the French Department, singing and acting and jamming to Brock...