Senior Profile: Joshua Demetri

Senior Profile: Joshua Demetri

At 4 years old, he spent his weekends climbing Machu Picchu or in town where sheep and chickens were being sold at every street corner. Because he went to an English immersion school, he learned how to speak fluent Spanish in order to fit into the culture around him. Joshua Demetri lived in Peru for three years while his parents did missionary work helping the homeless. His parents instilled a passion in him for loving God and helping others.

“I always say my three most important things for my future are church [involvement], computer programming (that being my career choice) and music as my [hobby] I do on the side,” Joshua said.

Joshua leads a middle school youth group and plays the saxophone in the youth worship band at Greentree Community Church. He said he puts his church affiliations over school, and church is always his number one priority.

Schools tend to have rules, limits and qualifications,” Sanford said. “When he gets out into the real world and is totally allowed to expand, create and explore, it will just bring out the best parts about him.”

Joshua said he came into high school thinking he was going to be a mechanical engineer or an architect. However, he took one computer programming class and felt a connection.

“My favorite teacher has always been Mr. [Ron] Sanford, the programming teacher, because of the way he structures his classes,” Joshua said. “I took one of his classes and said ‘Alright I’m doing this for the rest of my life.’ It was really cool to have a teacher who I liked so much and whose classes were so helpful to me that I figured out exactly what I wanted to do.”

After taking all the the computer programming classes offered at KHS, Joshua applied for an internship at Oasis Digital Software Solutions Inc. He has now worked as a part time software developer for the past year. He said working in a professional environment has been one of the greatest opportunities to help set him up for his future.

“Schools tend to have rules, limits and qualifications,” Sanford said. “When he gets out into the real world and is totally allowed to expand, create and explore, it will just bring out the best parts about him.”

Joshua also said music has also played a vital role in forming who Joshua is today. He has been a band section leader since sophomore year, playing the saxophone. His father is the worship leader at his church, so Joshua has always been accustomed to hearing music.

“He’s kind of a natural born leader,” Zack Demetri, Joshua’s brother, said. “He has always been this example of how a great leader should be, whether it was in boy scouts or in the youth group. He serves as an example to me of how a good leader should act.”

Abby Geisz, technical web editor

Interests: Watching Netflix, eating cheese and hanging out with pals

Favorite food: Fruit, bread, cheese and fries

Favorite quote: "I...

Zachary Clingenpeel, photographer

Grade: 11
Interests: Photography, videography, music
Favorite quote: "If I already have a vision, my work is almost done. The rest is a technical problem.”...