New KHS club, K-Dub, promotes the exploration of music and technology

Paisley Regester, writer

After school on Tuesdays, students may have heard the ear-catching beats and melodies emanating from room 108 in the science wing. This is the sound of K-Dub, one of Kirkwood High School’s newest clubs that focuses on creating and appreciating electronic music.

The club is sponsored by Dr. Andrew Seymour, biology teacher. This is Seymour’s first year at KHS, after having taught middle schoolers at KIPP Triumph Academy, a public charter school in North County.

“I love Kirkwood,” Seymour said. “The comradery amongst the faculty is wonderful, the students are motivated, and there is just a good energy here.”

In addition to biology, Seymour has been deejaying and creating his own music for 15 years. He utilizes programs like Logic and Garageband, as well as apps on his phone, to experiment with different sounds and beats in his free time.

During K-Dub meetings, Seymour introduces students to a wide variety of music technology, including synthesizers, voice modulators and touch-sensitive beat pads. He also guides them through the process of picking apart and layering tracks on top of each other to create new and unique pieces of music. Using these technologies, K-Dub is able to focus on all kinds of electronic music, allowing members to experiment with their own musical ideas and styles.

Seymour emphasizes personal growth and is pushing members to apply what they’ve learned to individual projects, eventually constructing their own tracks. Being a sponsor of K-Dub also serves as an outlet for his own musical improvement.

“Teaching other people to [create music] makes me better at it,” Seymour said. “I really like to see people blossom in that regard.”

Hannah Gates, junior, who has played piano and a little guitar in the past, is hoping to gain more musical experience through the club. She has an appreciation for all types of music and is excited to broaden her knowledge to the technical aspects of music-making.

“I joined this club because I’m interested in how to properly use all the right materials,” Gates said. “I really wanna know how to make music that doesn’t sound like garbage.”

Jules Johnston, junior, played the French horn for five years and enjoys rapping over music on Youtube with her friends and hopes to begin making music of her own. This development is what Seymour hopes to see from club members.

“The journey is more important than the end goal,” said Seymour. “I enjoy fiddling with this [hardware], and I am trying to bring that opportunity to anyone who wants to join the club.”

This availability and mobility of modern music may allow for K-Dub to bring their music to the streets of Kirkwood. Later this year, the club would like to to have impromptu shows throughout Kirkwood Park. K-Dub is still searching for new members and is encouraging that anyone interested in the process of composing and producing music to stop by room SC-108 after school.

“Come on by, we’re here every Tuesday 3-4 p.m.,” Seymour said. “The more the merrier.”

About the Contributor
Paisley Regester, features writer

Interests: writing, travel, & music
Favorite food: burritos
Favorite quote: “When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you...