Senior Profiles: Colin Thompson

Naomi Thomson, social media staff

Since age 2, Collin Thompson, senior, has faced many obstacles concerning a task that for others is muscle memory: walking.

Collin was diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy as a toddler, and in middle school he underwent his first heel cord lengthening surgery on his left achilles tendon. Though he has had two operations total on the muscle, Collin has used walkers, leg braces and botox to assist him along with about an hour of physical therapy each week.

Surgeries and medical procedures were never foreign to Collin, according to him and his family. His sister, Claire Thompson, senior, recalls being shocked when hearing that Collin was to undergo a surgery when the siblings were in elementary school.

“[Afterward], he came to school with a walker and I was a little bit horrified by that as well,” Claire said. “I thought, ‘What did they do to him?’”

As time went on, along with minor procedures here and there, Collin surpassed what doctors predicted he would be able to do. Coming home from a play in his sophomore year, he was able to pick up his pace to a run for the first time in his life.

“He just took off running to the car,” Amy Thompson said. “It was the first time I’d ever see him be able to actually run without limping along. Around that time, my friend gave me the idea of making a happy jar, and that moment was the very first thing I put into it.”

Breaking into his first sprint ever was a special milestone, and a feeling he said he will never forget. With the ongoing support of his parents and doctors, Collin said he is inspired to pass the feeling along. He sees a future in the field of radiology ahead of him, in which he can help others who have the same case as his own.

“In 10 years I see myself ideally at St. Louis Children’s Hospital working as a radiologist helping kids,” Collin said. “I plan to give back the help that I’ve been given throughout my life. [To] show that there are even the doctors, even the people in those kids’ lives that they see as able to help them, people that they would be able to trust. I am in a place where I can relate to them.”