photo courtesy of Jenny Slater

Where are they now: Jenny Slater

Profession: social worker- Location: Seattle - Class of 1999

Journalism seemed like the perfect profession for Jenny Slater. As a features editor for TKC in 1994 and a 1999 graduate of the University of Missouri with a degree in journalism, she is experienced in the field. But not long after two planes crashed into the World Trade Center Sept. 11, 2001, Jenny began to reevaluate her purpose.

“[I went] into journalism to help people,” Jenny said. “I didn’t really feel like I was doing that.”

At the time of 9/11, Jenny was working for the Bend Bulletin, an afternoon newspaper based in Bend, Ore. A writer for the city beat, she reported on school board meetings and city council meetings, which, according to Jenny, she lacked a passion for. So she quit reporting, and with some advice from her dad, decided to go into the field of social work.

“I ended up moving to Seattle and got on the ground working for the homeless shelter and the crisis clinic,” Jenny said. “The doors just kind of kept opening.”

In 2012, Jenny received her master’s degree of social work from the University of Washington. She currently works for the University of Washington’s Geropsychiatric unit at Northwest Hospital in Seattle, and aids older adults with mental health issues.

According to Jenny, 90 percent of their patients have been involuntarily detained by the county, as they have been assessed by a mental health professional and were deemed unfit to live on their own.

“I really enjoy working with people with psychiatric diagnoses because it is the most challenging population to work with in the social work field,” Jenny said. “When you see somebody who is totally psychotic, [the way] our services can help get them back into the community is amazing.”

According to Jenny, the desire to help others runs in the Slater family. Jenny’s sister, Annie Slater, works as a pediatric doctor at the emergency department of Seattle Children’s Hospital.

“The way we view the world and the way we want to take care of people is very similar,” Annie said. “We just work with vastly different populations.”

Jenny graduated from KHS in 1995 after moving to Kirkwood from Hawaii in 1992. At KHS, she wrote for TKC under H.L. Hall. She describes how having Hall as a teacher was one of her favorite things about TKC.

“Mr. Hall was amazing, and he taught so well,” Jenny said. “He brought out that talent that was in me, but I don’t think would have been brought out [without him].

Charity Goodwin is a pastor and friend of Jenny’s who currently lives in Columbia, Mo. She also wrote features for The Call and attended journalism school at Mizzou with Jenny from 1995-1999.

“[Jenny is] a genuinely kind person,” Goodwin said. “I remember everything about her was harmony and peace.”

Jenny currently lives with her husband Gregory DeKlever, also a social worker, and their 3-year-old son, Vaughn, in Seattle. Her brother and parents also live in the Seattle area.

“What I love about Seattle is that it’s very progressive, and absolutely beautiful,” Jenny said. “I live a block away from the beach, but when I get on the freeway I can see the mountains.”

Originally from Spokane, Wash., Jenny has found a home in Seattle and a passion in social work. With support of loved ones, every day she continues to improve the lives’ of others.

“[Jenny] is very passionate about social justice,” Annie said. “Caring for other people is what she is really good at.”

$1030
$500