Struggle in the streets

courtesy of Emma Perry

Cece Hensley, in-depth editor

Emma Perry reached to turn up the radio as she drove along Elm Ave. in Webster, a street she had been acquainted with three times before. She knew she had to hurry because her friends were waiting for her at San Sai, a Japanese restaurant. But they would have to wait longer; because as she turned left onto W. Lockwood, a speeding car raced through the intersection, colliding with her.

“The scariest part was the two seconds before the crash happened,” Emma, senior, said. “I knew I was going to crash, and there was nothing I could do so it was terrifying having that feeling of no control.”

Paramedics took Emma to the hospital to assess the damage. The crash left her with a bruised nose and internal bleeding in her knee, as well as cuts on her face and rashes from the airbag. Emma said being in the hospital and recognizing her injuries made the situation turn into reality. However, she said she got an even bigger dose of reality when her mom, Kelly Perry, took her to her car (which had been towed away) to retrieve her personal belongings.

“When we got to the place where her car had been towed we couldn’t find it at first because it was so damaged,” Kelly said. “When we finally saw it we were both in tears because I had no idea the crash had been that severe. Emma was lucky to have walked away with just a few bruises.”

After the accident in June, doctors advised Emma to refrain from dancing for a week. Emma, a varsity pommie and competitive dancer at Studio C, said she was glad the consequences were not more severe. Despite her brief dance hiatus, Kelly wanted Emma to continue driving as soon as she was physically able.

“I had gotten in a car crash when I was younger so I understood her feelings of being frightened to start driving again,” Kelly said. “But I knew that she needed to get behind the wheel sooner rather than later. Even though I knew she would be extra cautious, I still held my breath at first when she started driving and didn’t exhale until I saw her walk back through the door.”

After the accident, Emma said she has been more cautious when driving. She has also noticed more of her friends getting in accidents and picking up dangerous driving habits such as texting while driving. When police came to question her after the accident, she said the first question they asked was if she was texting while driving because they said this has been the main problem in the teen crashes they have witnessed. Emma said they asked this before they asked if she had been wearing a seatbelt.

“Emma’s accident was a wake up call for me,” Kelly said. “It showed me how quickly you can get into an accident and how severe they can be. Although Emma was able to become a more conscious driver through this experience, it still frightens me that there are people still not paying attention on the road. But I think this has taught her not only to be conscious of herself but of other drivers too.”

Cece Hensley, print editor

Grade: 12
Interests: Poms, Cooper's Hoopers, watching The Bachelor, petting dogs, and pretending I can sing
Favorite quote: "She believed she could so...