Joplin educators tour science building, discuss partnership

Educators from Joplin High School toured KHS Tuesday, Nov. 29. During the visit, Joplin teachers viewed the KHS science building and its blue prints to gather ideas for the construction of their own science center that will be completed within the next three years.

“We want to gain insight on how other schools have used different equipment and how they have designed their buildings,” Kerry Sachetta, Joplin principal, said in an interview with KSDK. “We want to do a better job overall of making sure our kids are prepared for college and careers.”

Touring the science building was not the only reason Joplin educators journeyed to KHS. They also met with KHS science teachers to discuss a future partnership. This collaboration could involve a science research project in which KHS students are responsible for half of the project while Joplin students are accountable for the other half. The partnership could also include funding science internships for KHS and Joplin students.

“This is an opportunity from a tragedy,” Michael Havener, KHS principal, said. “It is good for our teachers to hear about Joplin’s experience and it is good for Joplin because they can learn from us. They can build great things.”

The partnership was made possible by Blanton Whitmire, a Kirkwood resident who donated $100,000 to the Kirkwood School District Foundation. According to Havener, funding for the collaboration will come strictly from donations, and will not require any taxpayer dollars.

“I’m not sure that this kind of a partnership exists anywhere else in the state or even in the entire country,” Havener said. “It will be a great experience for everyone.”