McGrath moves on, Townsend steps in

McGrath leaves KSD

When Cathy McGrath thinks of her past four years at KHS, she first recalls the students and staff she built relationships with. These people brightened her days and made her look forward to coming to work. But Feb. 16, McGrath turned in her resignation letter so she could pursue new opportunities.

“Kids are asking [why I’m leaving] right now, and what I tell them is sometimes, things aren’t a good fit, and it’s time to move into experiences or go onto things that are a good match for you,” McGrath, senior principal, said. “Change is inevitable.”

Among McGrath’s many memories are the year her sophomores played JV football and won the Frisco Bell, this year’s Woodstock-themed opening day, helping the Pep Club, when Robiee K and the Gentlemen performed in the commons during lunch and when she accompanied the varsity pommies to Disney World last year.

“I’ll miss her,” Alexus Gillespie, senior, said. “She’s someone you can talk to. You don’t need to be ashamed, and you can go to her for advice. She has your best interests in mind.”

McGrath has submitted job applications to schools across St Louis. If she leaves the area, she will not be allowed to keep her three foster children in her care, something she cannot imagine. She hopes to find a diverse school she can help grow and improve.

“I love the challenge of trying to build relationships and getting to that point as a community where they want to work together and have a common purpose: finding out whatever it takes to help kids,” McGrath said.

McGrath wants to make sure all her seniors graduate on time and looks forward to prom and graduation ceremonies. In the meantime, as she navigates a difficult job search and enjoys her time with students, she is remaining positive during her last few months at KHS.

“My mom always said whenever they close a door, a window will open. That and when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I live with that positive attitude that she has instilled in me,” McGrath said.

According to McGrath, she built relationships with students like Gillespie and friendships with staff members like Joe Fisch, counselor. She has especially close bonds with the guidance department, whom she traveled with and helped shape it into the close, and in McGrath’s opinion, smooth-running, department it is today.

“She’s very honest and upfront and I respect her for that. She’s also caring and compassionate,” Fisch said. “I definitely will miss her.”

Despite leaving KHS and facing an unclear future, McGrath is keeping an open mind.

“Whatever happens, I’m not going to give up hope because there’s something out there for me,” McGrath said. “If I wanted to leave a legacy, it’s just being somebody who is open, approachable, nonjudgemental and trying to make things better for kids.”

Townsend takes over
From his small office sandwiched between the David Holley Assembly Hall and Denver Miller gym, Jeff Townsend, athletics director, never dreamed he would become a class principal again so soon. But with Cathy McGrath, senior class principal, leaving at the end of this school year, Townsend will take the job and lead the upcoming freshman class through their four years of high school.

“I didn’t see it happening this early, but the opportunity presented itself and Dr. Havener had a conversation with me and asked if I’d be interested,” Townsend said. “I thought about it, and I basically told him I’d definitely like to do it.”

Townsend will soon leave behind his office crowded with papers and posters of Kirkwood sports teams and photographs of students competing, but leaving the athletics director office is in exchange for the opportunity to work more personally with students again. In 2009, Townsend completed the year with a class of seniors and since then he has missed building relationships with kids.

“This job as the athletics director is involved with kids, but it’s tougher to create relationships with them,” Townsend said. “I’m really looking forward to dealing with students on an everyday basis.”

Townsend is also eager to work more closely with staff members.

“Sometimes we get a little isolated down here,” Townsend said. “Kirkwood has great staff members, so I will enjoy being back up in the building more.”

Dr. Michael Havener, principal, helped hire Townsend as future freshman class principal mainly because he admires Townsend.

“He builds great relationships, has past experience so there won’t be much of a learning curve, and he’s a die-hard Kirkwood fan,” Havener said.

Likewise, Allie Powers, junior, believes Townsend will be a good fit for the job. Powers helps in the athletic office during seventh hour, doing jobs such as running passes and mail, organizing letter jackets or calling and confirming games. Because of her position in the athletic office, Powers has seen Townsend interact with students, coaches and other staff members on a daily basis.

“When I was a freshman, I was scared to be with all the upper classmen,” Powers said. “To have a principal always be there, help me laugh and help me smile, helped me get through freshman year. Mr. Townsend comes across as a welcoming, happy-to-be-here person. I think he’ll do a great job.”

Townsend is nervous about figuring out some of his new job’s fine details.

“I’m a little nervous about meeting and greeting the freshmen for the first time, but it’s also exciting and a challenge to hopefully get to know those kids and take them through for four years,” Townsend said.

Even so, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. He will still watch students compete, and he is looking forward to seeing kids in different environments. Townsend cannot wait to celebrate a student’s academic achievement or settle into Keating Theatre for a show.

“I love this job. It’s going to be a difficult transition,” Townsend said. “But I’m really, really excited.”