Update on 750 North Taylor

Update on 750 North Taylor

Last year it was almost impossible to travel through Kirkwood and not see a red “Save 750 North Taylor” lawn sign, but now the house that has seen all 50 Greentree parades, all 104 Turkey day games and the construction of the Kirkwood train station will be facing demolition. Jordan Grommet, sophomore, has grown up living down the block from the historic building.

“[Growing up by 750] is not very different than what you would expect.,” Grommet said. “You would see the people that lived there every once and awhile when you drove by and seeing the house was just kind of a normal everyday thing.”

750 North Taylor is over 135 year old, classifying it as a historic building. Grommet says that because of the history of the house, it is worth keeping up.

“I personally don’t care that much, but I think it should stay up because its at least like 100 years old,” Grommet said. “This whole neighborhood is old houses and it would be kind of weird if they put new apartments or something there.”

Grommet was asked what he would do if he owned the 750 property.

“I think I would leave it up because its so old. Somebody could just buy it and fix it up for the same price and that way it would keep the historic value,” Grommet said.

In contrast to Grommet, Evan Yahng, freshman, sees a benefit to replacing 750 North Taylor with several buildings.

“It’s a smart move because it lets more people move into that neighborhood and it would open up more housing. It could serve a lot of people if they turn it into condos, but I still think it would be better served for a big family,” Yahng said. “As long as it lets families move into Kirkwood that want to, I am o.k. with it.”

Yahng was also asked what he would do if he were in charge of the property.

“I would leave it up. There are families that would pay lots of money to move into that house;” Yahng said. “Especially because it is in a nice neighborhood with a lot of other historic houses.”

The original plan of John Pitcher, managing principal of Gilpin Pitcher Development, was to subdivide the 750 property into three lots, with each having a house on the property. The proposal was brought to the Kirkwood Planning and Zoning Commission on September 21, where the proposal of a two plot subdivision was made.

“I just think folks are not going to be happy with us if we don’t approve this subdivision tonight,” David Osborn, chairman of the commission, said at the Oct 19, 2011 meeting. “I truly think [the three lot subdivision] is a good design and is something we should approve.”

However, the commission voted 6 to 2 against the three lot subdivision, and the details for a 2 lot subdivision were worked out at the Kirkwood Planning and Zoning Commission meeting concerning the house.

“Everyone is entitled to what they want to do, and if these people want to turn 750 North Taylor into condos, then we shouldn’t take that away from them,” Yahng said.