Update: Shots fired in Ferguson


Darren Wilson was named as the officer who shot and killed Michael Brown in a police press conference Friday, Aug. 15. Wilson, a six year veteran of the police force, has been on administrative leave since Brown was killed Aug. 9. In the same press conference Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson revealed allegations that Brown was a suspect in a convenience store robbery moments before the shooting, although it remains unclear if the robbery led directly to the shooting.


Protesters gathered again Tuesday afternoon, this time in front of the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s office in Clayton. The protesters demanded charges be brought against the officer who shot and killed Michael Brown. Due to death threats toward officers via social media sites, such as Twitter, the Ferguson Police Department has stated they will not release the name of the officer at this time.

Among those pushing for the release of the officer’s name is Benjamin Crump, whom the Brown family hired as their attorney. Previously, Crump was the attorney of Florida teen Trayvon Martin who was killed by George Zimmerman on February 26, 2012.

The city of Ferguson was also attacked by the hacker group Anonymous, in an act of retaliation against police actions. Anonymous launched these cyber attacks at several city departments according to reports in The Washington Post.



Original Story:

Riots erupted in Ferguson, Missouri Sunday night over the death of Michael Brown, an African-American teenager. Brown, who was unarmed, was shot and killed by a Ferguson police officer Aug. 9.

According to quotes from the St. Louis County Police Chief, Jon Belmar, via The New York Times, Brown was shot and killed after he assaulted a police officer. Belmar said the two had fought over the officer’s gun in the car before Brown fled and was shot multiple times. Brown died around 35 feet away from the patrol car. The officer who opened fire on Brown had been on the police force for six years, according to The New York Times,and is now on paid administrative leave.

Following Brown’s death, a vigil was held, which turned into riots. Looters reportedly broke into Walmart and QuikTrip as well as other locally owned stores. Pictures of the riots emerged on social media sites, such as Twitter. Pictured were police and riot squads facing off with civilians who held up hands and signs with slogans demanding justice for Brown. Other pictures showed a burned down QuickTrip and looted stores in Ferguson.

Check back for updates as they become available.