Saving for school in strange ways

October 3, 2016

Many students need to save and scrimp every cent to afford college; however, students can make money  for college in ways that seem unbelievable. From developing a plan to survive a zombie apocalypse to being tall, here are some strange scholarships.

Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship

What would you do if your school was overrun by zombies? A scholarship contest by Unigo, a company that provides information about colleges, requires students to answer the question in an essay up to 250 words long that explains how they would survive, where they would hide and what five items they would bring. Each year, Unigo chooses one essay, and the best writer receives a $2,000 scholarship.

“No Essay” Scholarship

“Scholarships don’t get easier than this,” according to Niche. Niche has a monthly scholarship in which students are chosen by a random drawing to receive a $2,000 scholarship. All they have to do to enter is register for an account on niche.com.

Zolp Scholarship

In the 1977, Rev. William Zolp, Catholic priest, gave Loyola University Chicago money for granting scholarships. The scholarship saves students thousands of dollars in tuition, but the students who this scholarship applies to is extremely low: they must be Catholics with the last name of Zolp.

Stuck at Prom Scholarship

Duck Tape’s Stuck at Prom Contest requires students to think outside the box. In the contest, they must stick together an original prom outfit using Duck Brand duct tape. The outfits are judged on workmanship, color, originality, accessories and use of tape. The winning couple receives $10,000 in scholarships.

Tall Clubs International Scholarship

Students who reach great heights have a chance to receive this scholarship. The Tall Clubs International wants to support people who are tall, so they offer $1,000 dollar scholarships to tall students. Female students who are at least  5′ 10″ and male students who are at least 6′ 2″, and live near a participating club have a chance to receive this scholarship.