Let’s go clubbing

Bridget Killian, Art Editor

From the moment you enter KHS as a freshman to your last first day of school as a senior, the teachers and administration have told you to get involved. There are many ways to participate at KHS including sports, band or orchestra, the theater programs and clubs. The Activities Fair was held in the Denver Miller Gym for students to check out the clubs before the Pep Rally Aug. 17. Students were able to learn about the different groups and how to be a part of them. In case you were unable to attend, here is a rundown of 13 of the 54 clubs at KHS.

*Disclaimer: Not all clubs are represented in this article*

ANIME CLUB

What: This club is a place where students who love anime can meet and watch anime as well as have drawing contests.

Sponsor: Jim Cibulka

When: Every Tuesday after school

Where: SC-101

Why: Students who enjoy anime should join

How: Sign up through Jim Cibulka or go to a meeting

DISTRIBUTIVE EDUCATION CLUBS of AMERICA (DECA)

What: This club is a business career development club that competes in a variety of business categories.

Sponsor: Bryce Bunton and Santee Nixon

When: Once a month

Where: W-203

Why: Students should join because it looks great on resumés, it comes with good business opportunities and helps to develop your business skills by putting them into action.

How: Students can join by talking to Bryce Bunton or Santee Nixon as well as any current members.

ELLIPSIS

What: This club is a group that focuses on writing.

Sponsor: Simon Drew

When: Wednesdays or Thursdays

Where: W-112

Why: It is a great supportive community for writers that puts out a magazine of their work at the end of the school year.

How: You can join by showing up to the meetings and writing with the current members

FRENCH CLUB

What: This is a club where French students can learn and expand their French language and culture.

Sponsor: Anna Kalfus

When: Every Tuesday after school and some nights

Where: NW-139

Why: If you are interested in the French culture and French language then this is the club for you to join.

How: Students can join by stopping by Anna Kalfus’ room and asking for a signup sheet.

GERMAN CLUB

What: This is a club where German students can explore the German culture, try German food and celebrate German holidays.

Sponsor: Cheryll Bowman

When: Thursdays after school

Where: NW-136

Why: If you are interested in the German culture and language then this club is for you.

How: Students can join by coming to the meetings.

GAY STRAIGHT ALLIANCE (GSA)

What: The GSA is a place where both people a part of the LGBT+ community and those who are straight can meet and discuss current events as well as discuss how we can inform both students and teachers alike about the community.

Sponsor: Julie Sutfin, Leslie Benben and Tami Chappel

When: Every Tuesday after school

Where: SC-201

Why: Whether or not you’re a member of the LGBT+ community the club is open to all members to come and support the community.

How: Come to the meetings to join.

KH PLAYERS

What: The club provides a chance for students to participate in theater.

Sponsor: Kelly Schnider

When: Various times throughout the year based on their performances.

Where: SD-2

Why: If you are interested in drama and creating amazing performances for your school, you should

join the drama club.

How: Join by talking to Kelly Schnider in SD-2 or Gregory Booth in N-157

K-WORD

What: This is a club where students write and share poetry of the spoken word variety as well as a team which anyone can try out for and compete with other teams in the St. Louis area.

Sponsor: Dominic Pioter

When: Every Thursday

Where: W-105

Why: It is a safe space to share thoughts, raps and poems as well as improve your craft.

How: Show up to meetings to join.

NATIONAL ART HONOR SOCIETY (NAHS)

What: Students in the club works on art projects, service projects and have fun with fellow artists.

Sponsor: Nancy Grimes

When: Tuesdays after school

Where: SA-1

Why: Joining the club would surround you with fellow artists who share the same passion.

How: Talk to any of the art teachers to join.

VENTURING

What: This is a co-ed program in Boy Scouts of America for ages 14 to 21 at which those involved participate in outdoor activities like rock climbing, white water rafting and backpacking.

Sponsor: Kirkwood Pioneer Parent’s Organization

When: Twice a month

Where: The meetings depend on the location of the event

Why: It is a with adventurous activities that are youth led

How: If a student what to join, find someone who is in the club and talk to them about getting an application.

YOUNG CONSERVATIVES

What: This is a club where students who agree with the conservative political platform can meet and discuss current events, policies and share the political opinions with political figures such as Rick Stream.

Sponsor: Lisa Autry

When: The club is still discussing the best day for meetings so talk to Lisa Autry or any current member to find out when to come

Where: SC-207

Why: If you are a student with interest in politics focusing more on the conservative side and enjoy talking about current events in the United States and the greater world you should join this club.

How: You can go to Lisa Autry and ask to be added to the Young Conservatives’ group chat or you can come to a meeting

YOUNG DEMOCRATS

What: This is a club that pushes for a policy with a more liberal platform where the students  involved are active in the community pushing for the changes they see as a positive change.

Sponsor: Christy Schwalb

When: The club is still discussing the best day for meetings so talk to Christy Schwalb or any current member to find out when to come

Where: The club is still discussing where they should meet so talk to Christy Schwalb or any current member to find out where to go

Why: If you are a student with an interest in politics focusing more on the liberal side and enjoy talking about current events in the United States and the greater world you should join this club.

How: You can go to Christy Schwalb and ask to join or ask a current member.

YOUTH IN GOVERNMENT (YIG)

What: This is a club where students write legislative bills and travel to Jefferson City to debate the bills  in the Missouri capitol as well as arguing in a court for the judicial branch.

Sponsor: Lisa Hellmich

When: Monday nights in the fall

Where: Meetings are held in the KHS library.

Why: YIG is a great way to learn about how the US government works and is an excellent way to debate and write legislation about issues as well as learn how to argue a case and learn the judicial process.

How: Students can sign up with the YIG Google form or talk to Lisa Hellmich

Clubs are an easy way to get involved in the school while doing something you feel passionate about. These clubs mentioned are not the only ones available at KHS. To find a full list of the current clubs, go to the KHS website. If you want to be a part of a club that does not already exist, you can create one by getting a group of ten people together and finding a teacher to sponsor your club. To find staff information to get in touch with a sponsor or to ask a staff member to sponsor your club, you can visit the staff directory on the KHS website.