Update: Cronkite New Voices Act

On Wednesday Jan. 17, TKC Editor-in-Chief, Camille Baker, testifies during the hearing for the Cronkite New Voices Act which would repeal pro-censorship precedents set by Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier for student journalists. 
“My hope is for all student journalists to be heard loud and clear.” Baker said, “ To be able to dispel rumors that would otherwise circulate around our communities.”

On Wednesday Jan. 17, TKC Editor-in-Chief, Camille Baker, testifies during the hearing for the Cronkite New Voices Act which would repeal pro-censorship precedents set by Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier for student journalists. “My hope is for all student journalists to be heard loud and clear.” Baker said, “ To be able to dispel rumors that would otherwise circulate around our communities.”

Jack Rintoul

Jack Rintoul

Jack Rintoul, entertainment editor

After passing through the Missouri House of Representatives with a vote of 129-20, the Cronkite New Voices Act will go to a hearing with the Missouri State Senate Education Committee on March 27. TKC Editor-in-Chief, Camille Baker, and Adviser, Mitch Eden, will both be traveling to Jefferson City to testify in favor of the bill.

After the hearing, the bill will move on to the Senate floor in hopes of it becoming Law. This is the third year the bill has made it to the education committee hearing, but has failed to be voted on in years prior. Currently 14 states have passed similar laws, while Missouri looks to add to that number. TKC will update on the status of the bill as information becomes available.

About the Contributor
Jack Rintoul, editor-in-chief
Interests: I throughly enjoy hiking and being outdoors, exploring urban areas, reading, procrastinating homework, hanging out with friends, theater, soccer, DECA, writing for fun, advocating for students rights and so much more.
Favorite quote: “Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” – Michael Scott
Favorite food: Chocolate Peanut-Butter Ice Cream
If you had to be another call staffer, who would you be and why? Riley Arns, because he is everything I want to be and more