Preview of changes coming to KHS next year

Michael+Gavin+has+been+welcomed+back+to+KSD+to+replace+Miller.+He+has+worked+within+the+district+for+15+years.+He+spent+five+years+teaching+history%2C+was+an+Assistant+Principal+for+nine+and+for+the+last+two+years+he+served+as+Director+of+Learning+and+Innovation+for+KSD.+

Michael Gavin has been welcomed back to KSD to replace Miller. He has worked within the district for 15 years. He spent five years teaching history, was an Assistant Principal for nine and for the last two years he served as Director of Learning and Innovation for KSD.

Sophie Smith

Sophie Smith

Sophie Smith

Emma Lingo and Amelia Hurley

From VISTA relocating to new principals arriving, this is a short guide to all the new changes coming to KHS next year.

Next year VISTA, an alternative learning program for students in the KSD, will be relocating to the KHS campus. VISTA will be taking over the current ATLAS building with Romona Miller, current senior class principal, stepping up to be its principal.

“Even though VISTA does some really great things, students are often totally detached from the high school once they go to VISTA because of the proximity,” Miller said. “This will allow students who are able to come to take advantage of the opportunities here at the high school.”

Over the summer, the library will be renovated to create more space for the ATLAS students, who will be relocated to LRC, the upstairs area in the library. This will add around 100 students to the library per day, but Michael Havener, KHS principal, said the renovations should ensure the library can easily accommodate all students.

Even though VISTA does some really great things, students are often totally detached from the high school once they go to VISTA because of the proximity. This will allow students who are able to come to take advantage of the opportunities here at the high school.”

— Miller

VISTA’s daily schedule will remain the same with its move. There will be two sessions per day, one set of students will be attending the morning session and the other set will arrive in the afternoon. Six classes will be offered, the same ones offered in the past, and they will be taught by teachers in LRC.

Michael Gavin has been welcomed back to KSD to replace Miller. He has worked within the district for 15 years. He spent five years teaching history, was an Assistant Principal for nine and for the last two years he served as Director of Learning and Innovation for KSD. Gavin will be the grade-level principal for the incoming freshman class of 2023, and his office will be located in the science building across from the science conference room.

In other news, the no-homework weekends are returning. It will be the same as the 2018-2019 school year where there is one weekend selected to be homework-free each quarter. Students, as usual, still must use it as a catchup weekend if they are behind in any classes, and administration encourages students to use free time for reading.

On top of this, summer work has been officially banned. Teachers are not allowed to assign work over the summer and cannot have any work due for the first few days back at school.

“There will still be opportunities to learn,” Havener said. “We want learning to take place in a lot of different ways. Students [will have more time to] take online courses, travel if their family is traveling and experience a summer job. We’re trying to eliminate [students] cramming [in work] the last week or two of summer.”

There will still be optional work over the summer for students that wish to prepare for the school year. For example, students going into AP Language and Composition have the option of reading books off of a list that will be provided by teachers. Along with this, any students entering AP Chemistry will have an optional summer study packet.

The district is also welcoming new school board members and teachers. School board members Mark Boyko (new member) and Darnel Frost (incumbent) took office for the first time on April 15, 2019. Boyko will likely focus on helping with the district’s budgeting while Frost attempts to tackle the achievement gap. Two new teachers will be coming to KHS next year, replacing long-time educators Tim Harig, history teacher, and Ron Sanford, business teacher. Hallie Moon will be taking over for Harig, and Zach Kirk will be for Sanford.

Emma Lingo, web managing editor

Interests: eating, reading, running and stalking harry styles on twitter

Favorite quote: “I used to yodel.” -Maddie Meyers

Favorite food:...

Amelia Hurley, features writer

Interests: Writing, dancing, cheerleading, and broadway!

Favorite quote: “Courage cannot erase our fear. Courage is when we face our fear.”

Favorite...

Sophie Smith, artist

Interests: Soccer, writing, photog, art, shopping
Favorite food: Pizza, pasta, salad
Favorite quote: Any quote from The Office
If you had to be another...