Credits where credits are due

When incoming freshmen start signing up for classes at the end of eighth grade, they have a lot of choices to make. Decisions about honors classes, academic support and which credits to complete race around their heads. Another matter forefront on the minds of many is gym credits, which are necessary for graduation, and only to be completed as a class. Though many people enjoy the effort it takes to change into gym clothes, run around for 45 minutes and then change back into school clothes, there are those of us who don’t exactly look forward to classes like this. For those people, sports would be an excellent way to receive the credit and actually enjoy doing it. Unfortunately, sports count for nothing in the world of academic credits. Though summer school is also a viable option, it impedes with vacation time, plans with friends and the ever important 14 hours of sleep high school students seem to need the moment summer break begins.

Sports cater to the individual, allowing every person to select and try out for their favorite sport, which can be enjoyed more thoroughly and might even offer a more complete workout than co-ed recreational sports or dance. In fact, they definitely do. As far as physical education goes, running suicides and completing drills are far more productive than learning how to play bocce ball or lifting weights whenever the teacher is watching. If sports could be counted as credits, students could fill school hours with more academic classes, stress less about how their hair looks after gym and participate in a team sport that they enjoy.