World’s Best Boss

“Do I want to be feared or loved? Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.”

At the end of The Office season seven, Steve Carell will be leaving the show to further his movie career. This means the end of Michael Scott, or in other words, the (self- proclaimed) World’s Best Boss. With the end of Michael Scott, I believe a moment of silence (to read this article) is necessary to appreciate the laughter and happiness he has brought to all his viewers.

• “When I discovered YouTube, I didn’t work for five days. I did nothing. I viewed ‘Cookie Monster Sings Chocolate Rain’ about 1,000 times.”

While Michael Scott is the World’s Best Boss, that does not necessarily mean he is the most productive. I have watched the show religiously and have never actually seen him work. Usually, he is concerning himself with impressing his employees with his alter egos like Michael Klump, Prison Mike or Date Mike.

• “I guess the atmosphere that I’ve tried to create here is that I’m a friend first and a boss second, and probably an entertainer third.”

The environment created in Dunder Mifflin may be offensive, strange and counterproductive, but to Michael, it is home. Everything he does is genuinely selfless because he considers his employees family. At the end of the day, they can all call themselves a family in every episode through dance-offs, Christmas karaoke or the birth of Jim and Pam’s baby.

• “Um, let me ask you, is there a term besides ‘Mexican’ that you prefer? Something less offensive?”

The humor of Michael Scott always comes at the expense of shouting, criticizing and ruining his co-workers’ lives. The conference room has filled with unknowingly offensive fat, racist and sexist jokes. Michael never intends to hurt his employees. (besides Toby, who he openly despises everything about for the sole reason that he is Toby.)

• “I love inside jokes. I’d love to be a part of one someday.”

At times I find Michael hilarious, uncomfortable or offensive; other times I feel sorry for how lonely he is. Michael may be immature and crazy, but like all of us all he wants is a family to belong to and for people to love him. Michael gives his heart to people like Jan, Carol or Donna but in the end, nothing works out.

Don’t get me wrong. Jim, Dwight, Stanley, Kevin and all the other cast members are all ridiculously hilarious, but none can measure up to the wit, stupidity or pure offensiveness of Michael Scott. Who else will yell “That’s what she said!” in every episode? Is somebody else going to dress as Willy Wonka? Who will have a creepy obsession with Ryan? Who will ruin Toby’s life? Dunder Mifflin will never be the same without Michael Scott and his rabies awareness runs, awful impersonations or foot injuries from George Forman grills.

No number of characters or additions to the cast can amount to the greatness of Michael Scott. Please, take my advice: end the show with Michael Scott because no good can amount from continuing without the World’s Best Boss.