Review: Singin’ in the Rain

Katlyn Kreie
Drew Redington as Don Lockwood practices singing and dancing in the onstage rain.

To those of you who have not seen the KH Players’ production of Singin’ in the Rain: go.

After the lights dimmed in Keating Theater and the first chords of the musical’s overture rang out, I may as well have been transported from KHS to a theater on Broadway. Everyone involved in this play deserves recognition for the outstanding performance they put on their opening night.

The hard work of the actors , directors, crew members and musicians paid off as the audience enjoyed the tap-dancing romance of Don Lockwood (Drew Redington) and Kathy Selden (Nicki Clodfelter), and Lauren Kelly as Lina Lamont had the audience holding back laughter every time she opened her mouth as an actress with an unfortunate vocal inflection.

The catchy songs had me singin’ to myself in the rain as I walked through the steady drizzle back to my car, humming about silly Moses and his supposing about if his toeses are roses…erroneously. And the dance numbers left me lamenting over why my parents didn’t sign me up for tap lessons when I was a child.

Even for those who rarely venture out to see a musical, Singin’ in the Rain will not disappoint. There are two more opportunities left to see the show, this evening and tomorrow at 7:00 in Keating Theater. Tickets are $7 for students and $10 for adults; buy yours before they sell out.