Not worth the price tag

Image courtesy of MCT Campus

Prom reminds me of cicadas. Well, not really cicadas. But the sound cicadas makes.

It starts as a whisper, like the intro to Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend,” simultaneously aggressive and soft, a foreboding preview of the approaching storm: “Prom…prom…prom.” The whisper becomes inescapable, a constant undertone to the school day. With every new offer and acceptance, the buzzing grows louder and stronger, until it echoes across the school.

By March, every conversation seems to lead to prom. Girls start showing me their potential dresses on Pinterest, and I bare my teeth in a fake smile that turns out more like a grimace. They never see the horror in my eyes when I notice the price tag. Surely, parents wouldn’t let their children purchase junk that expensive for a one-night event.

But according to USA Today, in 2012, families with teens spent an average of $1,078 on prom, up from $807 in 2011. So yes, parents would let their children purchase junk that expensive for a one-night event.

Social media’s explosive popularity can explain rising prom expenses. When I went on Facebook after prom last year, my news feed was drenched in frills, tuxedos and smiles. In all the pictures, everyone looked perfect, and everyone looked like they were having the night of their life.

The rise in social media and the sheer number of those pristine prom photos latches down the message: “If I spend enough to make everything perfect, if I invest a substantial amount of money and stress into this night, then I will have the time of my life.”

The time has come to say enough. I know the night’s going to be phenomenal. I also know a nervous breakdown will not make the night any more worthwhile.

It’s time to calm down, hold onto cash and think about the night with a logical mindset. Prom will come and go. It will be a great time. It isn’t worth it to spend a load of cash on great memories that could have been purchased for far less.

Also, it’s high time I had a conversation which didn’t somehow end up at prom. The buzzing is really starting to get to me.