Sweating to graduate

Sweating to graduate

“[School sports should not be a P.E. credit] because people are choosing to do that,” Mollie Lodde, sophomore said. “People are choosing to [participate] in school sports and P.E. class is mandatory.”

Lany Borella

Lany Borella

Lany Borella

Claire Boysen, opinions writer

Running, running and more running. Gym is one of those things that people either love or hate, and if you happen to hate it, the fact that you need one credit (two semesters) of gym to graduate doesn’t sound like fun. Or maybe you just have absolutely no time in your school schedule to take a gym class, or maybe the whole idea of dressing out and playing competitive games makes you anxious. Either way, you’re stuck at KHS if you don’t obtain the credit by the end of your senior year. But what if playing varsity sports could earn you that credit?

On average, school sports practice five days a week, for two hours a day. Gym is only four days a week, for around one hour a day (considering the block schedule). Many of the school-sponsored sports require an immense amount of dedication and physical effort that gym class cannot. For example, during girls’ lacrosse last spring, the program ran two miles for warm-up nearly every day then went on to do more during practice. Whereas in a gym class this might not be the case.

Don’t get me wrong, gym class is a good thing, especially for the kids who don’t play at the varsity level. But, the whole idea of P.E. classes is to teach students fitness techniques that they can use for the rest of their life. Logically, it would make more sense to give students the option of earning that within a sport they love. Student-athletes will spend more time involved in their sport than they will being in a gym class, and since the concern is keeping students active, that should be enough.

Being in a sport you chose to be in is more enjoyable than being forced to take a class. Since students are more motivated in doing things they want to do, earning a credit for school sports wouldn’t only be easier, but the students would also get more from it than if they earned the credit by force. It shouldn’t matter how we earn the credit because in the end we’re all sweating to graduate.

Claire Boysen, print managing editor

Interests: Lacrosse, horseback riding, drum major / band, French
Favorite food: Pretty much any kind of smoothie
Favorite quote: "Everything I do,...

Lany Borella, features writer

Grade: 10
Interests: Field hockey, Netflix, food
Favorite quote: "Well its no secret that the best thing about a secret is secretly telling someone your...