Clear blue skies and 70-degree weather sets the scene for the average spring day. Threats of snow storms dissipate and winter clothes get shoved to the back of the closet. It’s that time of year to let go of the winter blues and look forward to the coming season. Our community becomes more active and places like Kirkwood Park become hot spots once again. Plants bloom and grass turns from a dry brown to a lush green. The rapid transition from cold to warm seems to come in the blink of an eye, especially since spring weather snuck into February this year. Although spring is infamous for its general abundance of positives, there is still many negatives to talk about.
A common theme around Kirkwood is a collective hatred of allergies. Red eyes and constant sneezing are enough to ruin a good day. And for some people, allergies can ruin the season altogether, since they tend to last the duration of spring. Overall, allergy season is the least popular facet of spring. According to the Allergy Foundation of America, 50 million people in the U.S. alone suffer from nasal allergies. Talk about a case of spring fever.
Recently TKC uploaded a poll to their Twitter asking if people have spring allergies. Out of 95 people, 63% said yes. That’s 60 people with spring allergies! While the remaining 37% might not mind spring, that’s sure a lot of people who do.
Even though it’s easy to bash on spring for its abundance of pollen, a lot of people don’t see that the spring bugs are just as bad. Crawly creatures pop up on every patch of grass you decide to sit on, and can even be found in the comfort of your home. Tyraids of ants infiltrate the boundaries of your kitchen. Flies and stink bugs nestle on the walls. Spiders lay eggs and disturb your boundaries. Overall, bugs bring with them an agitated edge to the mood of your house.
Despite the negatives of spring, people still appreciate the aspects associated with the season. The budding flowers and coming of warm weather tends to lift the spirits of many here at Kirkwood. While allergies and insects are a downer, just try and be thankful for the warm weather.