Student newspaper of Kirkwood High School.

Photo courtesy of Aysha McHaynes

Photo courtesy of Aysha McHaynes

No more fear

“I’ll tell you what freedom is to me: no fear.” – Nina Simone

Here at KHS, I wanted to make a change. I wanted better treatment for all students. I wanted to do something that would impact this school for the best, to have the things I did at KHS be remembered, not me. Coming to a school where tradition is everything, it’s hard to see if change is ever going to come, if you’re ever going to see the difference you made. So to a school district that helped show me the Sha’Diya I was meant to be and exactly why I wanted to be here, thank you.

Thank you for having teachers who pushed me to be the best me I could be. Who might not have understood some of the struggles I have to deal with as a black student, but took the time to try to and empathize with me. For not letting my voice go to waste and reminding me that even when I feel like I should be quiet, I must always speak up. For putting a pen in my hand and my articles in print. For showing me how powerful my voice truly is.

Thank you for a place that challenged me. For students who encouraged me and inspired me to fight as hard as I do for what I believe in. So thank you KHS for giving this black bird the nest she needed to grow her wings. Now it’s time for me to fly, and with these wings, I’m ready to soar. I’m not afraid anymore, I’m finally free.