Filed under Columns, Opinions

Dear Mr. Kavanaugh

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons under Google Creative Commons License

Eric Draper

Dear Mr. Kavanaugh,

How does it feel to be picked to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States? Are you nervous for your confirmation hearing? Feeling like you’re going to have the weight of the country on your shoulders? If not, you should.

The man you replace, Justice Anthony Kennedy, if confirmed by Oct. 1 left big shoes to fill. Though he upheld mostly conservative rulings such as President Donald Trump’s travel ban, he tipped the court in favor of progressive decisions such as Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized gay marriage, and the reaffirmation of Roe v. Wade, which says restrictive state laws on abortion are unconstitutional. He was like you in a sense; he was chosen by President Ronald Reagan, another outsider Republican powerhouse who caused commotion every time he so much as sneezed. And now you’re an extension of President Trump’s chaotic administration. You have been the subject of many angry liberal moms’ Facebook posts. Just like Justice Neil Gorsuch, just like Kellyanne Conway, just like Vice President Mike Pence. It doesn’t help that David Brock, a political operative and commentator, recorded in his book “Blinded by the Right” that you mouthed “b*tch” about Hillary Clinton during her husband’s 1997 State of the Union address. People don’t quite like that. But please, from now until forever, do not live up to that standard.

“A judge must be independent and must interpret the law, not make the law.””

— Brett Kavanaugh

I would like to say it doesn’t matter to me your political standing as a Supreme Court Justice because your job is to interpret the laws by the law, not your beliefs. But I’m also not that naive. With Justice Kennedy, the Supreme Court favored Republican ideology with his vote tipping the court to the left for multiple landmark cases. But now you, and frankly anyone else on Trump’s shortlist for Justice nominee, are solidifying a conservative majority on the Supreme Court for at least another 20 years. Under the current administration especially, that’s a lot of power.

A Time Magazine article about you gives a reminder about the ethics of judging law. You told President Trump yourself that “a judge must be independent and must interpret the law, not make the law.” Democrat or Republican, I think anyone in your position would be fueled by their personal beliefs when interpreting the law, even if that’s not what you say is right. President Trump has a reputation for making rash decisions, or well-thought-out, manipulative decisions aimed at riling up the public. He’s a genius when it comes to garnering public outcry. You’ve had a long history of maintaining conservative values through your cases, such as Priests for Life v. US Department of Health and Human Services where you upheld the right for an employee to deny service based on their religious views. With your past, rich with controversial decisions, you might have the opportunity to evoke the same reaction as Trump.

You could overturn Roe v. Wade. Even if it slides under a different name, females in this country have their eye very close on their reproductive rights.

You could grant states greater rights to restrict gay marriage. Even though the ruling is becoming more popular and there’s no reason to ban it, the fact that you could scares people.

You could go through and flip the Court’s decisions on many things, both insignificant and controversial, in favor of the current Republican administration. I know that you could, and I know that you will if you’re confirmed in the future. But if you do, leave the past in the past and make your own path.

I beg you not to go back and change “interpretations” that have been affirmed and reaffirmed just to get your way. Don’t adopt the spiteful attitude of our president, and if you already have it, drop it now. At the end of the day, I accept that you or any other SCOTUS justice nominee are going to make decisions I don’t like. All I’m asking, Mr. Kavanaugh, is that you please be normal. For once in this administration, just be normal.

Logan Crews, editor-in-chief
Interests: dance, karate, piano, singing, bullet journaling, camping

Favorite quote:
“I’d rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I’m not.”

Favorite food:
ribs

If you had to be another call staffer, who would you be and why?
Charles Thomas Birmingham because we are the same person