Senior profile; Madeline Keel

Dan Weyerich

It only took one drawing class for Madeline Keel to realize she wanted to focus on art after high school.

“I wanted to focus on creating work in college and not just reading and taking tests,” Madeline said. “I wanted a hands-on experience with art.”

In order to get that experience, Madeline plans to attend the Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI) next fall. Although Madeline looked at other colleges such as the Art Institute of Chicago, she made her decision based on the scholarship KCAI offered her. At the institute, Madeline hopes to get a bachelor degree in fine arts with an emphasis on education.

Before Madeline could commit to KCAI, she had to convince her parents to allow her to go.

“[My parents] were both really hesitant at first, but once they realized I wasn’t going to give in they accepted it,” Madeline said. “I just kind of told them that it was what I was going to do.”

Madeline first nurtured her talent as an artist when she began taking art classes at KHS.

Since then, she has taken a wide range of classes like Drawing 1, Ceramics 1 and Sculpture. However, her favorite class was AP Art.

“I’ve kind of always made things since I was a kid, but sophomore year I started taking art classes,” Madeline said. “That’s when I realized I really liked drawing and painting.”

Madeline said her favorite aspect of art is the ability to express herself, as well as the fun found in it. Nancy Grimes, Madeline’s art teacher, said she has a strong artistic voice and style.

“Madeline is very talented and very skilled. She can do anything she puts her mind to,” Grimes said. “[Madeline] can handle most mediums and she comes up with creative ideas.”

Grimes also said she is happy about Madeline’s decision about next year.

“I’m thrilled she’s going to an art institute,” Grimes said. “I think that perfectly suits her.”