Senior profile: Frankie LeBeau

The world knows him as Enigma but Kirkwood know him as Frankie LeBeau. For Frankie, streetball freestyle, a sport in which a person performs tricks using a basketball, has always been hobby yet he never thought it would lead him to where is his today. As of now he has 203,820 Twitter followers, so many Facebook friends that he had to create a second account and companies asking him to wear their clothes all because of his talent revolving around his basketball.

To publicize his talent, LeBeau started out by putting videos of his tricks on YouTube and once he got close to one million views started using Facebook and Twitter to do the same. LeBeau started by posting pictures of himself and contacting businesses in hopes they would send him their clothes to wear while he was doing his tricks so they could post pictures of him on their website.

“Its kind of like modeling but instead of being attractive I just spin my ball and wear their clothes,” LeBeau said.
The amount of Twitter and Facebook friends has allowed LeBeau to get recognized by over 50 companies who now want him to help them publicize their product. LeBeau said his favorite part is the benefits he receives from these companies.

“All the free stuff has been cool and being able to control people online and have them know who I am is too,” LeBeau said. “It’s kind of weird to think about 200,000 individual people knowing who I am, following me and knowing what I do. It’s just cool to be able to interact with people online.”

According to LeBeau, all people who do tricks in streetball freestyle have an online name and other people who do tricks always give fellow streetball freestyle players their online names. The name given to LeBeau was Enigma.

“Enigma means mystery and [those who gave me the name] thought of it as a mystery to other people how I can do these tricks,” LeBeau said. “Now people all around the world that don’t know who I am or know my name are more likely to remember me as Enigma.”

LeBeau hopes his accomplishments will eventually allow him to be able to work for these companies where he can be successful in helping them run their social media sites and gain just as much publicity as he has.