Senior profile: Emily Trokey

Kevin Campbell

On a sweltering July day, Emily Trokey paddles a canoe across the lake at Camp Barnabas with her friend Elizabeth. Later at dinner, the girls whisper and giggle about Elizabeth’s camp romance. All this may sound typical, but Emily’s week at camp is far from ordinary; when they finished canoeing that afternoon, Emily helped Elizabeth back into her wheelchair. That evening, Emily fed her dinner one bite at a time.

Camp Barnabas is a Christian summer camp for the physically and mentally disabled, and Emily has been volunteering ever since she went with her church youth group four years ago. Emily had no idea what to expect, but she now looks forward to returning every summer.

“Not knowing who you’ll spend the week with is part of the excitement,” Emily said. “Each year is so different.”

Julie Jackson, a staff member at Barnabas, was in charge of the cabin Emily stayed in last summer. Jackson said Emily stands out as one of her best volunteers.

“Emily connected with Elizabeth so well,” Jackson said. “They were best friends from day one, and I don’t think she expected that.”

Although Emily loves her time at Barnabas, it can be both physically and mentally taxing. Patience is one of the most valuable lessons she has learned while assisting her campers with everything, from eating and getting dressed each morning, to using the bathroom and showering.

“It’s never easy, but you have to realize we’re just like them. We just have different capabilities,” Emily said. “Honestly, sometimes it can be really frustrating until you get home and realize it was so worth it.”

Few teens are willing to give up seven days of summer with their friends to be a 24/7 caregiver. However, Emily does so happily.

“Emily has this absolutely contagious joy, and it inspired everyone: the campers, the volunteers and the staff, including myself,” Jackson said. “Emily has a gift with people, special needs or not.”

Emily said the rewards of volunteering far outweigh the challenges. Caring for her campers has given Emily an incredible perspective.

“I don’t understand any more than they do. I just understand different things than what they do,” Emily said. “I feel like I get more out of my camper than they get out of me, and that’s what keeps me going back every summer.”