Senior profile: Kenny Klostermeyer

While some students struggle throughout high school to discover their calling in life, Kenny Klostermeyer’s decision could not have been easier. After watching memorial videos on Veteran’s Day in seventh grade, he knew the military would be his place.

“I think it just kind of hit me. I really respect those guys and appreciate what they’re doing,” Kenny said. “I just kind of knew instantly that’s what I want to do.”

Kenny’s first job choice was Combat Engineering. Combat Engineers travel with combat teams to fix any problems that occur while traveling through varying terrains. The decision was influenced by his mom’s apprehension toward the job involved with combat.

“My mom wanted to come pick out the job with me, and she didn’t like it because it had combat in the name, when really that doesn’t have a lot to do with it,” Kenny said.

After passing the tests and physical examinations to prove his eligibility to enlist, Kenny chose a position in the Military Police, which was his third choice. The Military Police work to protect soldiers and equipment on bases and provide security when troops travel from base to base. The choice between military job options has made Kenny uncertain about his future on the force.

“I have had doubts about the exact job I chose, just wondering what I could’ve had,” Kenny said.

Training several times per week while enjoying the last weeks of senior year, Kenny is preparing himself for the future. After five months of training starting at Fort Leonard Wood in July, he will learn the various demands of the military and how life-changing it will be after being deployed.

“I hope to get a sense of pride in what I’m doing,” Kenny said. “I would never see myself doing any sort of desk job. I want to do something that means a lot to me and to other people.”

His excitement for the job has never faltered. Friend and classmate Nathan Loudenslager, senior, praised Kenny’s commitment to his decision.

“It’s hard not to stand behind someone who’s been so driven and puts such a positive effort into it,” Nathan said.

Though he excitedly anticipates his future, Kenny has always taken his decision very seriously. He finalized his choice after talking to recruiters visiting KHS and doing research throughout high school to validate his choice.

“Life will never be the same after it, but I’m looking forward to a change,” Kenny said.