Senior Column: Mary Kate Brennan

Senior Column: Mary Kate Brennan

I was once an avid Miley Cyrus fan. She told me the seven things she loved and hated about Nick Jonas. While I don’t have a JoBro of my own to talk about, I do have four years at KHS that have taught me more about myself than any other experience has. So here it is: My top seven things everyone should do before they graduate.

1. Jump in the pool. You only have so many chances to jump into a pool during school hours. Grab your friends and (with permission) have an in-school pool party. Taking the plunge during homeroom earlier this year was an experience I don’t see myself forgetting anytime soon.

2. Get to know your teachers. They have a lot more to offer than the 50 minutes you have together every day. Whether you come in early to go over a paper or stay after class for a few minutes to talk, it will benefit you. It’s good to have a friend on the other side.

3. Join something. You’re probably rolling your eyes at me right now, but there’s a reason people tell you to get involved. You will experience more in those club meetings or practices than you ever will in the classroom. I’ve made more friends and memories in SJ and through pommies than I ever could have if I didn’t get involved.

4. Do what makes you happy. Whether it’s immersing yourself in a publication, making an Instagram for your water bottle (@nancynalgene) or dancing until you can’t breathe, do it. High school will be so much better if you let yourself do what you love.

5. Say thank you. To everyone. Thank your teachers. Thank the walking counselors. Thank your principals. Thank your peers. It’s so easy and important.

6. Try, but not too hard. I know how tempting Netflix is and how easy it is to take a nap instead of working. Before you hit the play button, think about where you want to be tomorrow, next week, next year. Do your homework, but don’t let school consume you. Nothing is more important than your health. I’ve been through sleepless nights cramming for Dr. Bourque’s biology tests or finishing AP World History packets. Work hard, but don’t work yourself into the ground.

7. Slow down. There is only so much time. I spent so much time worrying about the future or catching up on something that I often forgot to look at what was right in front of me. In a short time, you’re going to be leaving KHS as a student for the last time, taking your last Calculus test, going to your last football game. Soak up every annoying, heartbreaking, beautiful second you have here. I wish I had listened to the people telling me to slow down and enjoy it. I wish I could remember my last “Hail Kirkwood” or my last performance for poms. Don’t let the little moments slip by unnoticed. You’re going to miss them one day.