Senior column: Amelia Hurley

As a freshman, I never imagined that a lecture hall filled with 70 students and my adviser could become my second home. But here I am, actually wishing I could stay in high school just to be with my TKC family a little longer.

De Lila Green

College: University of Missouri

Major: Journalism

At the beginning of quarantine, I worked diligently on all the wrong things. Instead of focusing on homework like a responsible student, I searched for ways to take my mind off the endless missing assignments piled on my to-do list. My favorite way to procrastinate was by listening to music and driving around. My drives would last for hours, and at some point, I found myself getting lost in the music, not paying attention to what was around me. Then, something would pull me back into reality and guide me home. In some way, The Kirkwood Call has led me back to where I belong.

During my freshman year, I felt lost. It seemed impossible to find the tiniest ounce of passion for being productive. Then I discovered journalism, and it changed every aspect of my life.

I always loved telling stories but hated coming up with fictional ideas. Instead, I preferred poetry, where the truth was stated in a sophisticated way. All I wanted in the world was to be able to write in such a beautiful language. 

But I was terrible at poetry, which led me to try other kinds of writing. Now I’m here, writing my senior column as the editor-in-chief of one of America’s most recognized student media outlets during the middle of a pandemic. And I wouldn’t trade it for any other passion on Earth.

I still go on late-night drives, but I don’t get lost anymore. There’s no more driving away for me — I now have a place to go. The KHS journalism building will forever be a part of me. As a freshman, I never imagined that a lecture hall filled with 70 students and my adviser could become my second home. But here I am, actually wishing I could stay in high school just to be with my TKC family a little longer. 

Even if I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’ll end my journey at KHS and prepare for my trip to Mizzou. If it wasn’t for TKC, I wouldn’t know my true calling — journalism. So with that, I say thank you, and I’ll see you again soon.