Charity Issue: Helping Hands

December 1, 2021

Each December, TKC aims to provide a platform for four KHS families that could use extra support in the “Helping Hands” part of our Charity Issue. This project was inspired by The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s100 neediest cases.” Every year, these families typically provide a list of items they need, and the Kirkwood community shows up to donate. This year, the item families asked for most are gift cards. Though the holiday season may be a popular time to give back, donations have been used long after December ends. In the past, donations have gone to a family that lost a member and needed money to buy clothes for the funeral, a family who lost their home and all their belongings to a fire and needed clothes and food, and a family whose mother’s car broke down and she couldn’t make it to work until it was fixed. Donations can also be made through cash, check (made out to KHS Publications) or through Friends of Call on MySchoolBucks. Donations can be dropped off at KHS’s South Journalism building. Read about the families in their own words below.

Family #1

Audrey Blaine

Family #1

“I am new to Kirkwood because I did not have a good relationship with my mother. I moved to Kirkwood to live with my aunt.”

Family #2

Audrey Blaine

Family #2

“I lost a loved one and going through tough times with my living situation. I am currently staying with an older sibling.”

Family #3

Audrey Blaine

Family #3

“On Sept. 22 I lost one of the closest people to me and that was my big brother. He was killed in a fatal car accident by a drunk driver. It has been a pretty hard time for my family and I, but we try but we try to remain strong to our best ability.”

Family #4

Audrey Blaine

Family #4

“I lost two family members in the last year so it’s been tough. My health has caused complications in the last few months and my mom has struggled with employment.”

Donations:

-Target giftcards

-Walmart giftcards

-Visa giftcards

-KHS school store giftcards