Kirkwood defeats Camdenton, advances to state semifinals against Webster

The Kirkwood Pioneers defeated the Camdenton Lakers Nov. 13 19-14 to advance to the state football semifinals.

Camdenton started the game with a touchdown, but Kirkwood quickly turned around and scored to tie the game at 7-7. The score remained tied until halftime.

The Lakers scored soon after the first half began, giving Camdenton a 14-7 lead. However, early in the fourth quarter, Kirkwood scored, but Camdenton blocked the extra point to make the game 14-13. Then, with eight minutes remaining in the game, B.J. Buckner, junior quarterback, threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to give Kirkwood a 19-14 lead (the two-point conversion failed).

Near the end of the game, Camdenton was inside the 10-yard line threatening to score. However, Jordan Bishop, sophomore, came up with a clutch interception to ensure the victory for the Pioneers.

The victory sends Kirkwood to the state semifinals for the first time since 2006, when Kirkwood lost in the state championship game. The Pioneers will take on the Webster Groves Statesmen Nov. 19 at Kirkwood at 7 p.m. Webster comes in with a record of 12-0, and Kirkwood comes in with a record of 9-3. Webster has an overall winning streak of 26 consecutive games.