Girls’ varsity basketball team boxes out adversity

Girls varsity basketball team boxes out adversity
Kevin Campbell

Struggling with loss of players, illness and injury, the girls’ varsity basketball team has faced multiple challenges throughout this season. Two seniors left the team, two girls have been injured and unable to play in games, and six of the girls have been sick, missing parts of the season.

For Rachel Tainter, senior, coping with the seemingly endless challenges has not been easy. As the only senior, Tainter takes it upon herself to keep her teammates motivated.

“I feel like I have to have a relationship with everyone and lead them, which gives me the chance to get close to all of the girls and be, not only their teammate, but their friend,” Tainter said.

Megan Hellwege, junior, strained three ligaments in her right ankle in a game Jan. 28, keeping her sidelined for five games. According to Hellwege, it was hard to watch and not play, but it was a good chance to sit back and cheer everyone on. Instead of seeing their setbacks as a problem, the team looked at their situation positively.

“We took our unfortunate series of events as a challenge to come together as a team,” Hellwege said. “Instead of giving up we got closer and improved for each other.”

Another setback for the team was when Moriah Rice and Kayla Lundgren, seniors, decided to leave the team for personal reasons. While the girls did not leave together, both left during the season. According to Tainter, even though they decided to quit, everyone understood and more underclassmen got a chance to play.

“When they quit we were initially worried, but there were no hard feelings,” Hellwege said. “It was their decision to leave and no one blames them.”

Along with the injuries and loss of teammates, six girls were also out with the flu.

“It was kind of humorous,” Tainter said. “We were always so close to each other. Once the sickness got to one of us, we all knew we were going to get it. It was just a matter of when.”

Considering all of the team’s struggles, both Tainter and Hellwege agree this season will be a memorable one. According to Hellwege, the season stood out because of the integrity and determination of the girls who never gave up.