The Madness of March

March 12, 2015

The Madness of March

Reese Anderson

The Kentucky Wildcats are clearly the most dominant team in college basketball. They are 29-0, which is the best start an SEC team has ever had.

They average 75.0 points per contest while yielding only 53.2. John Calipari is 181-37 (.830) as Kentucky’s head coach for the past six seasons. The list of mind-blowing statistics goes on and on, further solidifying their case to win the National Championship this season.

The Wildcats play basketball the way it should be played: as a team. They share the ball in order to form a dynamic offense and work together to produce the second best defense in the NCAA.

The objective of Kentucky’s basketball program is unique to a select few schools, including Duke and North Carolina. They recruit their players with the intention to win immediately. Two of the starting five are freshmen (Karl-Anthony Towns and Trey Lyles), two are sophomores (twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison) and the other is a junior (Willie Caulie-Stein). Calipari’s team centers around a young core.

When the Wildcats went 38-2 and won the National Championship in 2012, Calipari focused around six players who received a huge majority of the playing time.

The primary difference in his coaching technique this season revolves around the fact that he allows more players to spend time on the hardwood. While six players averaged 26 or more minutes per game in 2012, eight players this year land in the 20-26 minutes range, and none exceed that limit.

Towns, Lyles and Caulie-Stein all tower at mammoth heights of 6 feet 10 inches or greater. Their monster presences in the paint will diminish opponents’ wishes of effectively scoring at the rim.

Aaron and Andrew Harrison stand at 6 feet 6 inches a piece and make for arguably the most talented backcourt in college basketball. In terms of height, Kentucky starts five forwards.

This Kentucky squad will leave the Notre Dame Fighting Irish praying for luck, send the Wisconsin Badgers back into their burrowing holes, shock the Wichita State Shockers- and, well, make the Kansas Jayhawks look like Jayhawks. So buckle up, fill out a bracket and enjoy as the Wildcats trample the competition this March.