Student newspaper of Kirkwood High School.

Don’t panic, it’s organic

Kylan Lane and Malayna Vines

Kylan Lane and Malayna Vines

Kate Hennessey, sports editor

Snacking around three to four times throughout the day is an essential part of maintaining energy for after-school sports. Many high schoolers can struggle with receiving the right amount of energy for games and practices because of their tight schedules. However, snacks packed with unsaturated fats and sugars do not provide adequate energy to burn calories during workouts. Here are a few healthier options to gain the right amount of nutrients straight from the Dierberg’s organic aisles:

1. Woodstock Organic Black Mission Figs (dried)

Figs are an easy way to receive essential nutrients for the body in a light snack. Figs are rich in fiber as well as calcium, iron and vitamins. Besides being a healthy option, these are easily carried to school and practice.

Taste: They don’t look particularly appetizing because the fig is shriveled up and has an odd powdery coating on the outside. The taste is very bland much like a dull licorice. When you bite into it, there’s an odd crunch from little seeds packed together inside, which is a bit overwhelming. The texture’s very chewy and the figs are tough to bite off.

Nutrition: 90 calories, 3g dietary fiber, 16g sugar, 1g protein.

Price: $6.19

Size: 8 servings

Rate: 2/5

1. SeaPoint Farms Dry roasted Edamame (sea salt)

Steamed edamame may provide just as many nutrients as dried, but are more difficult to carry around throughout the day. Dried edamame offers a solution. As the brand points out, these “roasted green gems” may be used as a snack, toppings to a salad or a crunch to your yogurt. Whichever way, you’ll get a boost of nutrients.

Taste: These remind me of peanuts because of their fragile skin on the outside. They don’t have a particularly strong taste and the sea salt doesn’t come through. I would recommend adding these in a trail mix, rather than just by themselves.

Nutrition: 130 calories, 8g dietary fiber, 1g sugar, 13g protein.

Price: $1.50

Size: 4 servings

Rate: 3/5

1. Melissa’s Clean Snax with chia and flaxseed (cranberry)

Easy to pack and just the right size these little granola bites are the perfect snack. These bites are packed full of essential fatty acids like Omega-3 and fiber from the mix of flaxseed and chia seeds.

Taste: These granola squares are very crunchy. The cranberry taste seems a bit overwhelmed by the nuts. Overall, they tasted very good and didn’t even seem like they were packed with seeds full of nutrition.

Nutrients: 140 calories, 2g dietary fiber, 6g sugar, 5g protein

Price: $5.99

Size: 6 servings

Rate: 4/5

1. Banana Organic Coconut Chewy Banana Bites

Made from the company’s old family recipe, these dried bananas offer just the right amount of sweetness for a healthy snack. Besides being completely organic, this product is also non-GMO verified. Additionally, upcycled bananas are used, which allows for bananas that don’t look in pristine condition to be sold in grocery stores, be used for these bites, as to not waste the fruit.

Taste: They have a very ripe, sweet taste that wasn’t very much like banana or coconut. They smell extremely sweet as well. Unless you’re a big fan of bananas or coconut, you might want to avoid these.  

Nutrients: 135 calories, 6g dietary fiber, 15g sugar, 2g protein

Price: $4.99

Size: 2.5 servings

Rate: 1/5

1. Orchard Valley Harvest Trail Mix (chocolate raisin nut)

These make a perfect snack for before, during, or after exercise. This mix includes chocolate- covered raisins, almonds and peanuts to create a hardy mix.

Taste: The mixture of nuts and chocolate all blend well together. It was a pretty average trail mix. I liked that it included chocolate covered raisins, instead of just chocolate or M&Ms, for an added health benefit. It was a bit heavy on salt, but that was redeemed with the chocolate.

Nutrients: 150 calories, 2g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 4g protein

Price: $5.98

Size: 8 servings

Rate: 4/5

1. KIND bar (cranberry almond)

One look at a KIND bar and you can tell how healthy they are for you. These bars are packed with visible nuts, fruit and rice, all in a clear fruit glaze that holds it all together. These are perfect for right before practice to get a little extra energy.

Taste: The bar has a very sticky outside, but it adds the bit of sweetness needed to not taste like bland nuts. The bar has a lot of crunch from the nuts and you can’t taste the rice.

Nutrients: 190 calories, 3g dietary fiber, 11g sugar, 4g protein

Price: $1.99

Size: one serving

Rate: 5/5