The bond of girls’ swim and dive

Courtesy of Maggie Laciny
The girl’s swim team practices every morning when winter season rolls around.

As winter rolls around, so does another girls’ high school swim season. The following months consist of early morning practices and long meets. According to the athletes, once swim season comes around, they find themselves in a warm and supportive environment.

Eva Smith, senior, said that there is a certain image they tend to put out. She said this may make some wonder what the environment is really like.

“Even though we’re always having fun, [people] need to understand that it is a hard working sport,” Smith said. “It’s not an easy sport to just throw yourself into and it takes a lot of commitment and dedication in order to succeed.”

Smith said the dedication sticks with the athletes just as much as the fun times do. This sense of discipline is not new for members like Sophie Wallace, senior, who said that the environments of club and high school swimming can differ greatly.

“I’m swimming with the people I’m normally racing against [in club], which is different but it’s obviously very fun,” Wallace said. “You’re swimming with your competition.”

You’re swimming with your competition.

— Sophie Wallace

Wallace said competition stays constant throughout the season. As the season goes on, Addie Ludbrook, senior, said the stakes get higher leading up to state. 

“My favorite part of the season is state because it’s always really fun and shows what you’ve been doing the entire season,” Ludbrook said. “It shows how hard you’ve worked [and] it’s always a great atmosphere.” 

A season full of preparation goes into state. The anticipation and competition grows, however. Ludbrook said valuable friendships evolve along the way as well. 

“The friendships I’ve made [have benefited me],” Lubrook said.  “I’ve made a lot of friends through the team, [people] I maybe wouldn’t be friends with [without this experience].”

I’ve made a lot of friends through the team, [people] I maybe wouldn’t be friends with [without this experience].

— Addie Ludbrook

Wallace said seniors have the most responsibility, and that they all recognize and appreciate the experience given to them. While they reflect on each season by scale of success or improvement, they also reflect on their past three years as a whole.

“Our freshman season, we were really successful as a team, but there wasn’t much going on in the social aspect,” Smith said. “We’ve really grown and connected, and I share a lot of memories with this team. I hope they’re able to pass that down to future freshmen.”

This is the final season for Smith, Wallace and Ludbrook. They said these four years have brought them success in many aspects. However, they said there is a newfound responsibility on them as they enter their last season. 

“I want [to] make sure the team is just as welcoming and fun as it’s been in the past,” Wallace said. “Because we’re seniors, there’s more responsibility to be in control of the environment. I just want to make sure everyone has a fun time and that everyone there feels welcomed and a part of the team.”