The 55th Grammy Awards: Who should win?

Before tuning into the 55th annual Grammy Awards at 8/7c on CBS, check out our picks for who should take home statues (not necessarily who we think will). Click here to see who else was nominated in each category.  Additionally, you can download the 2013 Grammy Nominees compilation album here. And, of course, don’t forget to follow our live coverage on Twitter.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Becca: Frank Ocean – channel ORANGE
Frank Ocean is a genius. There isn’t a song on the CD I don’t like. His lyrics are clever, and his voice is beautiful. If this doesn’t win, I’ll be really disappointed.

Eli: Frank Ocean – channel ORANGE
Some would claim that half the buzz surrounding Frank Ocean’s expertly crafted, astoundingly original debut album was due to his coming out as bisexual prior to its release. While that may be true, it fails to negate the fact that Ocean managed to rescue R&B as a genre and weave both nuance and old-soul wisdom into songs like “Bad Religion” and “Sweet Life.”

RECORD OF THE YEAR

Becca: Gotye – “Somebody that I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra)”
Gotye’s voice reminds me a lot of Sting, which is amazing. The lyrics are dynamite, and the backtrack is just creepy enough to charm me, without being too bleak. I love Frank Ocean, but “Thinkin Bout You” is not as good a song all around.

Eli: Taylor Swift – “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”
Whoa, shocker. Sure, Taylor Swift has almost completely abandoned any essence of “country” music, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. “Back Together” was the ubiquitous anthem of the last six months, and it’s indelible catchiness is undeniable, even if it was overplayed on radio.

BEST NEW ARTIST

Becca: Alabama Shakes
I don’t know all of their music, but what I’ve heard is amazing. The vocals are different than any thing I’ve ever heard. Their music has a nostalgic feel and seems incredibly genuine.

Eli: Frank Ocean
Only to the general public and Grammy voters is Frank Ocean a “new” artist, but I suppose that’s all that matters. It was in 2011 that Ocean broke onto the hip-hop/R&B scene with his nostalgia ULTRA mixtape, and since then he has masterfully navigated stardom, wisely choosing guest appearances (The Throne’s “No Church in the Wild”) and releasing what was arguably the best album of the year.

SONG OF THE YEAR

Becca: Ed Sheeran – “The A Team”
“It’s too cold outside for angels to fly” That line says it all. Great writing, and Ed’s voice is magical.

Eli: Ed Sheeran – “The A Team”
While he may not be a usual suspect for pop stardom, red-haired Brit Ed Sheeran’s oddly named single “The A Team” quickly garnered him a passionate fan base. With airy, laid-back acoustic guitar and Sheeran’s mournful pipes, the lead track on + makes for easy listening.

BEST ROCK SONG

Becca: Mumford & Sons – “I Will Wait”
Even though this isn’t the best song off of Babel, it is the best song in the category. The song is not only catchy, but has that old Mumford and Sons sound that I fell in love with.

Eli:  The Black Keys – “Lonely Boy”
Sorry, Springsteen: alt-rock masterminds The Black Keys did it again last year with the near-perfect El Camino, and “Lonely Boy” was one of the highlights. It’s grungy tinge pairs well with the duo’s instrumental and production, and while “I Will Wait” is a close second, the Keys are saving rock ‘n’ roll one song at a time.

BEST RAP SONG

Becca: Drake – “The Motto (feat. Lil Wayne)”
I’ve always thought Drake and Lil Wayne were some of the most clever rappers. I love the beat to this song. Although “N***** in Paris” is a very close second, I had this song on repeat longer.

Eli: Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz – “Mercy”
I named it one of the best songs of the year and I’m sticking with Kanye West’s “Mercy.” In addition to four infectiously boastful verses from Big Sean, Pusha T, Kanye, and show-stopper 2 Chainz, Mike WiLL Made It’s haunting production is the real stand-out here. G.O.O.D. Lord, this track is something else.

BEST RAP ALBUM

Becca: Drake – Take Care
As I stated previously, Drake is incredibly clever. Even though Thank Me Later was better, I still love this album. 2 Chainz should be disqualified because his music is just the worst.

Eli: Drake – Take Care
Drake himself has admitted that he wasn’t able to fully realize his vision on 2010’s Thank Me Later, but with help from producer Noah “40” Shebib and a select few guest verses, last year’s Take Care was finely tuned in every way. Whether he was weaving a painfully honest 16 or showing off his underrated singing chops, Drake justified his position atop the rap charts and the music scene.