Student newspaper of Kirkwood High School.

The Kirkwood Call

KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25

Hannah Cohen, editor-in-chief

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Former KHS social studies teacher, Steve Platte, died early Sunday, June 25 in his home at the age of 67. Platte taught history at KHS for 28 years after his 15-year career at Oakville High School, totaling his participation in high school education to 43 years. At KHS, Platte was the sponsor for Youth in Government until 2016, his last year teaching. He is survived by his wife and three daughters. There will be a celebration of his life July 30 from 2-5 p.m. in the Walker Commons at KHS.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

7 Comments

7 Responses to “KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25”

1. Elizabeth Browning on June 27th, 2017 3:26 pm

So sorry to hear of Steve’s passing. He was a wonderful teacher and a good man. I know he will be missed.

2. Paula M Stevens on June 27th, 2017 5:14 pm

Dear Liz and all of Steve’s family,

Our heartfelt condolences go out to all of you. Steve was a colleague of mine at KHS for 23 years. I admired and respected him. He was loved by his students are revered by his colleagues. May he Rest In Peace, without pain or suffering. God bless all of you in remembering this competent educator and compassionate man. Sincerely, Paula M Stevens (Frau Stevens).

3. maureen montgomery on June 27th, 2017 10:48 pm

So sad to hear this, Steve always greeted me with a smile when walking down the halls. We taught in different departments but he was always kind and was well liked by students and staff alike. He will be missed. My condolences to his family through this difficult time.

4. Natalie Thompson on June 28th, 2017 5:58 am

Mr. Platte was one of my favorite teachers. He helped me understand politics and helped me form my life long political views.
    I have great memories of him teaching and seeing him outside of school at political rallies in the early 90’s.
    So sorry for your loss.

5. Melissa Hill Garnett on June 28th, 2017 11:52 pm

My favorite memories stem from Mr. Platte’s sponsorship of the Youth In Government extracurricular opportunity. He helped me acquire a scholarship that allowed me to attend the field trip in Jefferson City. This meant so much to me. In AP U.S. history he taught me how to get to the point with facts proof. I’m a better writer because of him. I remember his kind smile whenever he passed in the hall. Thank you for being such a great teacher, Mr. Platte. Saying prayers for Cathy and his girls.

6. Andrew Frost on July 4th, 2017 1:27 pm

Mr. Platte was a wonderful and effective teacher: patient, bright, and demanding.

He was one of the few teachers from high school I remember returning to see and thank as an undergraduate. I believe much of my social and political consciousness was inspired by his teaching and the onus he put on each student to participate in our society’s civil discourse.

Mr. Platte’s passing is a loss to the Kirkwood community made more profound by our current political climate of division, distrust, and dismissiveness.

7. Reed Richardson on July 30th, 2017 1:15 pm

Mr. Platte is one in a million and I am so glad to be able to call him my friend. He is my hero. No matter how busy he was or what battles of his own he was fighting he always listened and took time to help others. He believed in me and helped me believe in myself. I will try to honor him by being the best darn history, Native American history and museum study scholar I can be. Mr. Platte is the reason I am pursuing my career in history, he was the one who helped me find my calling. I will always owe a debt of gratitude to him. We are all better for having him in our life.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25

Breaking News

Trump’s decision on transgender service members

• KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25

• KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25

News

VOK Career Symposium

• KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25

News

KHS Day of Silence

Student newspaper of Kirkwood High School.
KHS social studies teacher Steve Platte dies June 25