Student newspaper of Kirkwood High School.

They’re the most wonderful sales of the year

Emma Lingo, news-features writer

Whether you believe holiday shopping before December is unacceptable or are the one staying up on Thanksgiving for the best deals—there is no denying that holiday season is also gift-buying season. Black Friday earned the title “Biggest Shopping Day of the Year” in 2001, and, according to the BBC, has reigned supreme over all other notable shopping days, such as Memorial Day and Labor Day, for years. With Black Friday being a little more than a week away, stores have begun to release their Black Friday ads to the press.

Courtesy of Google under the Creative Commons license

Target

Target leads the pack this year by releasing their full Black Friday ad to the press days before almost any other retailer. Electronics are the main focus at Target this year. Their ad offers deals on Apple’s iPhone 8, Google’s Home Mini, Microsoft’s Xbox One, Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Note 8, GoPro cameras and more. The average shopper will save $50 on each electronic bought and receive a free $250 gift card with the purchase of Apple’s iPhone 8. Target will also be having a six hour sale the night of Thanksgiving from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. Doors will close at midnight and will open again at 6 a.m. on Black Friday morning.

Pro-Tip: Use a Target REDcard. If you plan on shopping at Target this Black Friday, you will save an additional five percent on every purchase with the REDcard. Additionally, Target offers extra deals for REDcard holders, such as early access to Black Friday sales.

Walmart

Walmart has also made the decision to put a spotlight on electronics this Black Friday. The Walmart preview of Black Friday includes deals on many of the same products as its rival, Target. There are big savings on the Samsung 55-inch Smart LED TV, Xbox One (with a bonus game of your choice and Microsoft Controller),  RCA Galileo Pro 11.5-inch 2-in-1 Tablet (with keyboard case), Apple’s iPhone 6, Android 6.0 and more. The average shopper will save around $230 if purchasing any of the above-mentioned items, and if you chose to buy the Samsung 55″Smart LED TV, you will save over $1000. Shoppers should also keep in mind that Walmart will be letting people into their stores at 6 p.m.Thanksgiving night and starting their cyber deals at 12 a.m. on Nov. 23.

Pro-Tip: Shop online. Walmart offers free 2-day shipping, and you don’t need a membership to take advantage of it. You can obtain all of the same deals while staying in the comfort of your own home. (Plus, there will be more deals online when Cyber Monday, Black Friday’s online counterpart, comes up.)

Kohl’s

Unlike Target and Walmart, Kohl’s is primarily a clothing store. Kohl’s will be marking down all winter accessories and clothing items at 50 to 60 percent less than their original cost. They will also have all Under Armour products available at 40 to 50 percent off, Nike products at 25 to 30 percent off, all boots 50 to 75 percent off, pajamas at 50 to 60 percent off and all Christmas sweaters, shoes, shirts, etc. will cost under $20. The average shopper will save 50 percent on all toys and 49 percent on every other product bought at Kohl’s on Black Friday. Another crucial piece of information shoppers should be aware of is that Kohl’s will be letting people into their stores at 5 p.m. Thanksgiving night. You do not have to wait until Black Friday to take advantage of these sales.

Pro-Tip: Use Kohl’s Cash. For every $50 you spend, you will be awarded $15 to spend that you can use anytime between Nov. 26 and Dec. 6.

Amazon

Amazon is the most popular online store in the United States, and it has to compete with all major retailers for customers during the holiday season. While Cyber Monday, Black Friday’s online counterpart, is Amazon’s usual focal point, the online-giant still participates in the Black Friday hoopla. This year, Amazon has deals on their very own Echo and Echo Dot, Fire TV, Kindle and more. Their full ad has not been released and often is not until right before Black Friday, but based on past Black Friday sales and some insider information, Forbes has predicted many other sales. According to Forbes, it is likely that there will be price reduction on all generations of the Echo and Echo Dot, all generations of the Kindle and Kindle Fire, along with all versions of Amazon’s Fire TV. There will also be items priced lower across the board on the site. The average shopper should save around $20 per product and everyone will receive free shipping on orders costing $25 or more.

Pro-Tip: Sign up for an Amazon Prime trial. You will have the option of free 2-day shipping, have access to unlimited movies and TV shows, unlimited music streaming and free same-day delivery in certain areas.

Best Buy

According to the business magazine, Forbes, Best Buy has historically been one of the biggest Black Friday players. The store continues to offer some of the most deals this year with various sales on phone plans, Apple’s iPhone X, the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8, Amazon Echo and Roku Streaming Stick. Unlike other retailers that are putting an emphasis on electronics in general, Best Buy is honing in on cameras specifically. The camera brands that will be on sale are Canon, FUJIFILM, GoPro, NIKON and SONY. Camera accessories, lenses and memory cards will also be marked down. The average shopper will save around $180 per purchase at Best Buy on Black Friday and will be offered the chance to save $50 with the purchase of three Amazon Echo’s.

Pro-Tip: Shop online here. Best Buy will give free shipping on everything until Dec. 25 with no minimum purchase requirement.

Macy’s

While lots of stores have many extra online sales after Black Friday comes to an end, Macy’s has many extra in-store deals after Black Friday comes to an end. In fact, their Black Friday deals are kept in place from Nov. 22 to Nov. 25. The two days prior to Black Friday they have preview sales which are other small-scale sales. Macy’s will have 40 percent off of women’s boots, 50 percent off of men’s boots, 60 percent off of men’s outerwear 60 percent off women’s and infant dresses, 50 percent off all teen clothing and more. The average shopper will save 52 percent and will also be able to save an extra 20 percent on any kitchen appliances.

Pro-Tip: Plan out your trip to Macy’s. With sales going up at certain times, it is good to be aware of when the products you care about will be the most cheap.

Costco

This year, Costco has the longest running in-store Black Friday sales. Not only does the store have Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals from Nov. 17 to Black Friday, it also has deals going until the end of Nov. 27 (Cyber Monday) that are in-store. Costco has deals on laptops, TVs, clothing, kitchen appliances and basically everything in-store. The average shopper will save $100 if buying a mix of household items and electronic appliances.

Pro-Tip: Take advantage of the early sales. Costco has been having holidays since the end of October and although the biggest deals take place on Black Friday you can still save money if you go shopping earlier in the week.