Student newspaper of Kirkwood High School.

Thanksgiving crafts and treats: Pinterest vs. reality

Maddie Meyers

We have all been there. We see an amazing masterpiece on Pinterest that is impossible to recreate. While I am no Martha Stewart, I think I am capable of following simple instructions. I used my below-average crafting and baking skills to try to recreate seven Thanksgiving projects with my 6-year-old sister’s help. I ranked each product on a scale of five turkeys, according to the difficulty and the appearance of each craft and recipe.

Fruity Feather Turkey Cookies:

These rainbow-feathered monsters take way more time than they are worth. To make these, I had to cut out each individual feather from a fruit roll-up, which was hard enough because those things will stick to anything, including the scissors. To make matters worse, they stuck to the plate when I tried to pick up the Nutter Butter, so the whole treat fell apart. According to my sister, these were delicious, but I was not so impressed seeing as it was basically peanut butter mixed with frosting and fruit roll-ups.

Pinterest:

Mine:

Corn Cob Painting:

This corn cob crime scene was disastrous. It was a clever idea and fun to do, but do not expect any phenomenal art. If you try really hard and do not layer globs of paint on the corn, you might be more successful in creating some interesting artwork rather than my corn catastrophe. Also, if you do not want to ruin your table, maybe place some newspapers beneath your cob.

Pinterest:

Mine:

Turkey Cupcakes:

When first finding these cupcakes on Pinterest, I thought they were going to be the hardest to recreate, but they were actually my favorite. I used store-bought cake mix and frosting, so the actual decorating of the cupcakes was simple. Some of the cupcakes were fails, but only because I cannot pour cake mix into a pan. Otherwise, the little turkeys taste as scrumptious as they look.

Pinterest:
Mine:

Footprint Turkey:

If you have tiny feet or a big piece of paper, and do not mind getting messy, then you should definitely try to make this footprint turkey. Just make sure you use washable paint so you do not end up with rainbow feet. You can experiment with different colors for the feathers and use whatever photo you want to transform someone into a turkey. I chose to use the principals’ heads for turkeys because we are thankful for them, but they also need to be roasted from time to time.

Pinterest:

Mine:

Fall Leaf Painting:

This fall leaf painting activity is not only fun, but you also clean up your yard in the process. This was very easy to do because I just had to gather leaves and paint around them. For some reason it did not quite turn out as I had expected. As you can tell, this little child is already better at painting leaves than I am, so maybe it is just me, or maybe we should just ‘leaf’ painting leaves to the children.

Pinterest:

Mine:

Rice Krispies Turkey Legs:

Do not even get me started on these turkey legs. On Pinterest they look adorable, but they are actually sticky balls of mush. Maybe it is because I had to use white chocolate instead of white candy melts, but every time I dipped the pretzel and marshmallows in the white chocolate, they fell apart. And it just got worse. I tried to mold the Rice Krispies with the marshmallows and butter, as the directions instructed, and the Rice Krispies would not stick together, but to my hands instead. I finally could shape some Rice Krispies on the tray, but they would not attach to the pretzel, so the second I picked up the turkey leg, the Rice Krispies fell off. This was an overall flop, so save yourself the frustration and make a real turkey instead.

Pinterest:

Mine:

Leaf Mason Jar Candle:

These mason jar candles could actually be spectacular for a 15-minute craft. If only the Modge Podge would dry. Like seriously. It has been over 36 hours. I am hoping these will dry soon, but if you want to make this for someone, plan at least a week in advance so you are not just giving someone a white mason jar. Overall, I have high hopes for this one and I think this will make a delightful fall decoration.

Pinterest:

Mine:

photos courtesy of Pinterest