Weekly sports briefing 2/16/17 – 2/23/17

photo courtesy of Joe Lacdon under the Creative Commons License

Daniel Kim, features writer

Pyeongchang Olympics Closing Ceremony

The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea came to a close on Sunday, Feb. 25. The Olympics featured many new faces, like Chloe Kim, a 17-year-old snowboarder who won a gold medal in halfpipe and the Nigerian women’s bobsled team, which was the first bobsled team to represent an African nation. We saw many familiar faces too, like Shaun White, who took home the gold medal after eight years without winning a medal.

Arizona men’s basketball head coach Sean Miller discussed $100,000 payment to secure recruits

FBI intercepted wiretaps which show University of Arizona head coach Sean Miller talking about paying DeAndre Ayton, one of top players for the Wildcats basketball team, $100k in order for Ayton to commit to play for the Miller’s team. This is part of an ongoing FBI investigation covering corruption during recruitment process in top NCAA basketball teams. Big name colleges such as Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky, and universities such as Oklahoma State, Auburn, USC and Arizona were found to have illegally recruited. Miller will temporary step down from coaching amid the scandal.

Here is some local sports news:

Mizzou’s star player, Michael Porter Jr., fully cleared from his injury

It is a good day to be a Tiger. The freshman forward was sidelined for the rest of the season after playing for two minutes for the first game of this season in November due to his back injury that required surgery. The 6-foot-10 forward was cleared for full contact on Feb. 22. Porter, who is a five star recruit coming out of Nathan Hale High School in Seattle, was a Gatorade Player of the Year and he is projected to be a lottery pick of the upcoming draft. His commitment to Mizzou, along with hiring of the coach Cuonzo Martin, changed the program. The Tigers went 2-16 in the conference play last season, and with addition of new players and coaches, they became a strong contender in the SEC tournament.

Kirkwood basketball falls to Webster Groves 73-55

On the last game of the regular season, KHS boys basketball travelled to the next door neighbor to challenge Webster Groves basketball team Feb. 20. The Statesmen feature two top 100 nation prospects, senior guard Courtney Ramey and senior forward Carte’are Gordon. Even with 17 points from Jaylen Phipps, freshman, the Pioneers lost to Webster Groves, with Ramey’s 35 point performance. On the side note, KHS girls varsity basketball beat Webster 59-23 on the same day.

Daniel Kim, sports editor
Interests: Writing “awk” on your copy. Favorite quote: “Poopy-di scoop Scoop-diddy-whoop Whoop-di-scoop-di-poop Poop-di-scoopty Scoopty-whoop Whoopity-scoop, whoop-poop Poop-diddy, whoop-scoop Poop, poop Scoop-diddy-whoop Whoop-diddy-scoop Whoop-diddy-scoop, poop” – Kanye West Favorite food: SJ late night leftovers or a Box Combo; extra fries and no coleslaw. If you had to be another call staffer, who would you be and...